29 | my love.

a/n: this chapter goes hand in hand with chapter fourty seven of 'without you'. part of this chapter will be a flashback chapter, showing derek's point of view from when he took charlotte to galveston island for her birthday. anyways, that's it. i hope you all enjoy this chapter (: i love you all <3.
------------------------------------------------------------------

derek morgan.

"So where exactly are we going?" Charlotte asks as I drive down the freeway, headed to the airport.

I take my eyes off the road for a quick second as I glance over to her, my eyes meeting hers, "That's a surprise, love." I state in a low tone, knowing it'll drive her insane.

She shakes her head slightly, a soft smile dancing on her lips, "I really thought that the surprises would've stopped the second we got married." She states.

"Do you really want to know?" I ask.

Charlotte nods, "Please." She states.

I grin widely, putting my focus back on the road, "I'm taking you and our son to the place where I first realized that I was falling in love with you." I state.

"And where is that?" Charlotte asks.

I pause as memories begin to fill my mind;

Charlotte and I walk down the wooden deck on the pier, her eyes traveling as she looks around. Our pinky fingers remain locked together as we pass by concession stands and rides.

We stop in our tracks, the warm breeze flowing through Charlotte's hair as she look up at me — the gaze in her eyes as soft as a lost puppy dogs — fuck, it drives me insane when she does that look.

I contain myself, looking down at Charlotte, my eyes searching hers for a moment.

I grin softly, "What do you want to do first?" I asks in a curious, raspy tone.

"Anything." Charlotte states, short-handedly.

"Anything?" I ask, my brow furrowing.

Charlotte nods, breaking eye contact as she begins to look around at all of the things lined up on the pier.

She lets out a sharp exhale, "There's so much to choose from, how could you just pick one thing to do?" She asks, looking back over to me as the wind continues to blow through her hair.

I let out a small chuckle, shaking my head slightly, "Well, that's the thing, love. There's only so much you can do in life." I state.

Charlotte pierces her lips together as we both make eye contact at the same time, our eyes searching the others, "I really want to be adventurous today...or spontaneous." She states, sounding hopeful of doing something chaotic today.

I smile softly as my hands linger upwards, landing on Charlotte's cheeks. She flinches a bit at the contact, but once my touch lands fully on her cheek, she relaxes — looking as though she is in the most comfortable spot in the moment, like she's finally safe.

I shake my head slightly my eyes searching hers for a moment before letting out a sharp exhale, "I already told you, I'm never going to hurt you. I promise." I state in a low, reassuring tone.