Sharing Secrets

The day after my date with Miles Elena, Jade and I had decided to hang out. They said they wanted to talk to me about something, which I assumed to be how my date went.

We got to Elena's house and went straight to our usual spot outside. Once we sat down Elena said

"Michaela, I need to tell you something."

"Okay, what is it?"

"You have to promise you won't say anything."

"When have I ever?"

"Okay... I have a really big crush on Max!"

"Wait, seriously? That's it! Geez you made me think you killed someone or something!"

"It's a big deal okay. He can't find out."

"Why not?"

"I'm not completely over Ryder. I mean how could I be?"

"But she's developing these feelings for Max too. I mean they do have five classes together." Jade explained.

"So what's the plan?" I asked. "You have to have something in mind."

"I don't know. I mean Max has been a close friend since middle school. He was the only guy I told about Ryder and how it ended. He's made me feel so good recently. I know he's really there for me. I trust him... I just don't know if I'm ready for a boyfriend after Ryder. It's only been a month and a half since his death."

"Yeah, but we're all going to go to the mall together next weekend! We planned it all out already, remember?"

"I don't know if I'll go. What if he realizes these feelings I have for him. What if I kiss him? I don't trust myself around him."

"You've got it that bad for him huh?"

"Yeah, I really do." We sat there with our legs dangling from the log for a while. We were all lost in our own thoughts, all trying to find a solution.

"You guys could just be with Connor and I. We won't do much but it beats being alone with Max."

"I don't know. I don't really want to be with Connor for a whole day."

"Why not? He's cute."

Both Elena and I looked at her with confused looks. Oh, right, we forgot to tell her about Connor's reputation.

"Yeah some might say, but Connor... he's a bit of a..."

"Flirt." Elena finished for me.

"I know but there has to be someone who can tame that boy down!"

"Who did you have in mind?" I asked. Elena snorted and said

"Yeah who?"

"Me. I was going to tell you guys after we talked about Max. I think I really like Connor. I know he's a flirt but he really is a good guy. I just thought you guys should know I'm going after him."

"Well, it sounds like you've already got your mind made up."

"Yeah, you do," Elena agreed "And if he hurts you, will kick his ass. Don't worry, we have your back now Jade."

You could tell from her face she was both relieved and grateful. "Thanks you guys! You really are good friends!"

We all hugged in a big group hug. Maybe, I could always use another friend. Maybe, I didn't have to isolate myself from everyone but Elena. Honestly, having Jade with us now, I wouldn't have it any other way.