[19] - 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘢𝘭

HYDRA WAS AT IT AGAIN. Steve Rogers got a tip from a mole within that they were building some sort of portal to a planet in space. With the info he gathered, they found out the planet was Vormir, the suspected location of the Soul Stone.

Cap wasn't going to let HYDRA get a hold of yet another powerful Infinity Stone.

The Avengers flew to an isolated facility in Romania, where HYDRA was conducting the project. It was lead by a militarist who used to work under Strucker, named Elias Konrad.

They infiltrated the base, and fought HYDRA soldiers around the facility before going inside.

Rogers threw his shield, which bounced off of four soldiers and took them down. Natasha used her widow's bite to incapacitate two others.

Sam soared above, kicking soldiers who were perched on the roof and shooting them down with his sub-machine guns. Rhodey was on the ground, his suit deflecting bullets like it didn't bother him. He deployed his guns and shot down his attackers.

Specter ran towards the front entrance of the facility, taking down soldiers ahead of him with his dual wield pistols. He got behind cover after seeing four more HYDRA soldiers come out.

Thankfully, Vision flew in and punched one, causing the soldier to crash into the wall. Vision used his density to deflect the gunfire of the nearby soldier and immediately grabbed him by the neck. He threw him aside.

Only two remained by the entrance. Wanda floated down and quickly formed a force-field to block their incoming bullets. She then shot them down with her psionic energy blasts.

"Everybody move in." Rogers communicated through his comms.

The Avengers entered the facility only to encounter reinforcements. They took them down with ease as they were no match for the skilled and powered team.

Y/N ran ahead and made it to the laboratory first. There, he saw the large portal in the middle of the room.

"I got eyes on the portal, Cap." Y/N said into his earpiece.

Suddenly, gunfire shot towards Specter. He quickly ducked and started moving along the railing. He peeked out to shoot at the soldiers below.

Sam and Steve ran into the laboratory. They helped Y/N take down as many soldiers as they could until they retreated or were all defeated. The rest of the team dealt with the reinforcements outside the lab.

"How do we destroy this thing?" Sam asked, gliding down next to the portal with Y/N and Steve.

"Easy." Y/N took out a bomb from his satchel. "C4."

Steve shrugged, that could work.

As Specter finished planting and activating the bomb, an alarm sounded throughout the laboratory along with flashing red lights. Thick metal barriers started to shut the exits.

"Let's move!" Steve shouted.

Steve and Y/N ran up the stairs while Sam glided up to the top. Y/N looked back, and saw somebody at the portal typing on the console. It was Elias Konrad, who was activating the portal.

"It's Konrad!" Y/N shouted, who took out his pistol and shot at him. The militarist got behind cover.

"Leave him! The bomb will take care of him." Sam shouted back as he and Steve neared the closing door.

"He's activating the portal. I can't let him disable the bomb or go through to Vormir." Y/N shot back, and vaulted over the railing.

Y/N ran towards the portal, shooting in the direction of Elias as he sat behind cover.

Above, Sam and Steve tried to find ways to keep the doors from shutting. They put metal beams under it, but it kept bending under the weight of the shutting door. Soon enough, it would close for good.

"Sam! Find the power source to this system!" Steve commanded. Wilson agreed and soared through the hallways of the facility and went outside.

Y/N ran out of ammo for his pistols, and Elias noticed it. The man ran up to Specter holding a knife and tried to attack him. Y/N dodged the swing and unsheathed his karambit.

"You don't understand the power you're neglecting." Elias thrusted his knife at Specter, "But you will soon."

Y/N kept dodging the militarist's attacks. He parried one swing and slashed Elias's right arm.

As they were fighting, the portal fully powered up and showcased Vormir. Elias ran towards it, but Y/N leaped onto him and the two struggled on the ground.

"Y/N!" Steve shouted, the doors about to fully close.

Specter rolled on the ground with Elias amidst the struggle. Elias stabbed into Y/N's thigh which made him loosen his grip. Elias got back up only for Specter to quickly slash his calf.

The bomb was still counting down.

The doors were still closing.

Y/N still had to take down Elias before he can enter Vormir and get the Soul Stone.

Y/N tackled him again as he was limping towards the portal. He put him in a chokehold, one move that Natasha taught him in training.

"Y/N! Y/N!" Steve yelled in desperation. The doors fully closed, and Steve banged on the thick metal.

Y/N knew what was about to happen. As he was choking Elias, he thought everything before this.

The things he accomplished at S.H.I.E.L.D.

What he did with the Avengers and the bonds he made with them.

He also thought of Wanda, who he's been involved with for two months now.

He hoped she'd understand. He was willing to give his life in order to keep HYDRA from achieving more power through an Infinity Stone.

Y/N choked the life out of Elias, feeling his body go limp. He tossed his body aside and slowly got up.

He saw the view of the planet through portal. He looked back, and saw the exits of the lab closed. This was his last stop.

The timer of the C4 ticked down to its final second. Y/N quickly got behind a computer console as it detonated. It exploded along with the portal, emitting a large shockwave.

Outside the facility, the Avengers witnessed the explosion. The building collapsed on itself.

Steve panted, and looked down in sorrow. Vision looked on in despair. Wanda got on her knees and began to cry, with Natasha crouching down to comfort her.

Sam looked at Rhodey, the two understanding what they needed to do. Unless there's a body, anything could be possible.

"I'm not leaving until we're sure." Sam said. He looked back over at the rubble.

"I'm not leaving."