Chapter Eight

I had a massive brain-fart writing this chapter. It is horrible, and for that, I apologize. :(♡☆!

I sat still for what seemed like forever. I was nervous and couldn't stop re-reading the message that popped up on my phone an hour ago. I didn't want to go back to be with my family. I felt comfortable here, and Knox cared about me.

We will be arriving back in New York at 6 tonight. Mom.

It was already tea time and I could hear Daddy in the kitchen getting snacks for us. 

"I have your favorite cookies," he sat beside me on the couch and handed me a plate. He opened the bag of Oreos and put three in front of me. I wasn't as excited as I usually was, and Knox definitely noticed by how far he slumped back into the lounge.

"What's wrong?" he grumbled. He took the plate off me and put it on the table. 

My cheeks were hot and my clammy fingers fidgeted with each other. 

"You can tell me, please. Remember that being honest makes you a very good girl," he explains. Knox takes my hand. His thumb rubs against my palm.

"My parents coming back tonight," I whispered quietly. I had a feeling that he was disappointed too. 

"I want you to stay here with me, Amara," Daddy spoke. 

I looked down and frowned. "My mom will get mad at me."

"That is the reason I want you to stay with me. I don't know or trust your parents. I cannot leave you with them, knowing that they don't look after you," Knox explained. I was glad that he wanted to keep me safe. 

"Ohh-kay. Can you come with me when I see them next, pretty please?" I asked in a plea. I tried to put on my best puppy-dog eyes and pouty lip. He nodded and handed me the Oreo's again. 

"Thanks... Daddy," I said shyly. I was still adjusting to the new term. I just hope I don't mess anything up.

As we were eating the cookies, my phone lowly buzzed on the couch cushion. I picked it up and my mom had sent through another text. 

Meet us at Louis' Restaurant at 7. We have something important to discuss.

I had wobbly hands but quickly showed Knox the message. His eyebrows furrowed and he seemed annoyed. I don't think he liked the business-like relationship I had with my parents. 

"I guess we are going out for dinner tonight, huh," he told me. He leaned forward and kissed on top of my head. I felt my heart flutter. 

⛧*┈┈┈┈﹤୨♡୧﹥ ┈┈┈┈*⛧

Knox helped me pick out an outfit. It was a baby blue dress and some sparkly flats. I had my hair clipped back with a pin, and my brown bangs straightened. I smiled into the mirror, looking over everything one last time. I was excited to meet my parents.

I rushed out of my room and Knox was waiting for me in the hallway. He told me that after the quick dinner with my parents, he had a special surprise for me.

"You look like my little princess," Daddy smiled cheerfully and grabbed my hand. I blushed at his remark and gripped his hand tightly. I was happy to see my mom and dad, but nervous... really nervous. 

Once we got to the car, I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. Knox noticed and moved his hand to squeeze my leg. He looked at me and flaunted his reassuring smile. I wish I was more confident and brave.

We arrived ten minutes early. My parents were always really private people and had booked out an entire corner of the restaurant just for us. I really hope they had good news to tell me, not anything disappointing. Especially since Knox is meeting my parents for the first time. He already had a bad impression of them in his mind.

Daddy sat beside me and tried to comfort me. He had one hand gripping mine and the other flipping through the menu as he told me about some of the options I may like. 

"I am going to protect you, baby. I promise, just breathe," he told me. I nodded but still, the reluctant voice in my head disagreed. My parents had a way of guilting me and I always submitted to it. 

Time had passed and soon a tsunami of feelings flooded me. My mom and dad approached the table. My mom's judgemental eyes watched me. My dad was mad at the fact I was with a boy. 

"Hi, mom and dad. This is K-Knox... um, how was your trip?" I asked nervously. I was picking at the napkin on the table, tearing tiny bits of it into shreds. My parents slid into the booth opposite us. 

"Is he your boyfriend, Amara?" my mom ignored me. Her eyelids narrowed and I could see her teeth ripping into her bottom lip. I felt myself slip further into the seat behind me trying to hide. 

"Yes," Knox answered for me. He was calm, unlike me. 

"I guess the one thing Amara forgot to mention to her boyfriend..." my mom looked at Knox and snarled. She was very mad. "... was the fact that she already is in a relationship. Honey... is Knox here aware of Jake?"

"Y-yes... mom you're embarrassing me. I don't like Jake at all," I mumbled, barely above a whisper. 

"Baby, of course, you do. Don't say things you don't mean. You're father and I are here tonight to bring you back with us to California. Jake's family is so very excited to see you again. They have all planned a welcoming, and decorated, and prepared a home for you guys to holiday in. To get to know each other more before your relationship progresses."

I tugged on Knox's arm lightly. He seemed unfazed. He looked down at me and smiled.

"She already has a home to live in, she doesn't need another one," Knox mentioned. I could feel his fingers hold my hand firmly. It felt like a security blanket.

"Hi, guys. Welcome to Louis'. Have you had a chance to look through the menu yet, are you guys ready to order?" a petite man cowered a little when he approached. His face was bright red and he scurried away when my dad glanced at him. 

"Ahem... we are selling our apartment, Amara. You have to come with us."

"No. She is an adult and has already moved in with me. You would have been aware of that if you gave a single shit about your daughter's wellbeing over the past few weeks," Knox answered almost instantly. 

My mom ignored him. She opened her purse and handed me a piece of paper. "Here is your ticket to fly back to California. We leave next Sunday. Be there, Amara."

My parents left. This was not the dinner I had planned. I sniffled and willed away the tears. They were my family. They weren't perfect parents, but I loved them so much despite everything. 

"Come on. We aren't staying here. I think now is the time for the surprise, huh?" Daddy told me. He pulled me out of the restaurant. I was so overwhelmed, I simply nodded still at a loss of what to do. 

Knox helped buckle me into his car. We were driving for about 20 minutes before he parked outside of an ice-cream store. I felt my eyes widen and I grinned. "I haven't even eaten dinner yet!"

"I am well aware of that, but maybe just tonight I'll let you be a naughty girl."