Chapter Twelve

Knox's office was huge. It was black and white with minimal decorations. He seemed to like plain things... I should definitely start decorating and adding some color. Everything is just so boring.

He told me that he was the big boss of his company, a law firm, so he worked on the top floor of the building. I hopped over towards a massive red leather couch and jumped on it until my body stilled. It was soft and smooth. Very clean, like him. 

He closed the door behind him. The wall was a glass screen with a foggy film over it. Outside of his office, you couldn't see inside - he liked his privacy as I had learned. But from inside of his office, it was clear so he could maintain supervision of his department.

"I can decorate your office for you. It needs... something, maybe some sparkles or pops of color," I beamed, swinging my feet with excitement. 

Knox sat beside me on the couch and wrapped his hand around my tiny fingers. 

"I need you to behave. You aren't to move from this spot. In fifteen minutes, I have a client coming in," Daddy spoke. His grip on my hand was a warning. 

"I promise," I smiled, leaning forward on my feet and kissing his cheek. 

"I don't want to hear a sound from you, Amara. Remember the small vibration bullet, it's controlled by my phone. Be a good girl for me."

A slight blush covered my face and thought about earlier today. He had shown me the toy and how it worked. He used bluetooth to connect it to his phone. I was nervous about using something like this for the first time.

Knox unlocked his briefcase. He pulled out a coloring book and crayons. It was animal-themed and had a cute bunny on the cover. 

"Thank you!" I chirped, holding the booklet and flipping through the pages. It had all sorts of creatures that were adorable. 

"Keep yourself busy for the next hour or so. When the meeting is finished we will switch up for a more eventful activity," Knox spoke. He seemed eager. I wonder what he had prepared?

Daddy resumed work at his desk. He sat in a big boss-like chair and organized his paperwork for when his client comes. I had been obedient and stayed on the couch. I started coloring in a picture of a zebra. I made her a rainbow special zebra, very pretty and bright. 

I hadn't even finished half the drawing when the door swung open. A tall, scary man bumbled in. He had tattoos inked over his body and hair cropped very short. I noticed his rings were sharp and pointy... dangerous. He didn't look very nice. 

"Reed, how are you? Long time no see; I notice you have been very busy," the stranger addressed Knox by his surname. He had a thick Italian accent too. He flickered his eyes to me when he spoke. 

"I have been good, Gabriel. This is my Amara, she won't interrupt. She knows how to behave and everything she hears will be kept quiet," Knox hunched back over his desk. He buried his face in his hands before looking back up at Gabriel.

"I trust you. You're the only lawyer in town who hasn't fucked shit up for me," Gabriel was crass and bold. He sat down opposite Knox. His knuckles were red and swollen. He had crusty bits of blood up his arm and dirt beneath his nails.

I picked up my next crayon, a nice blue color, and continued the picture. His friend made me nervous. 

The meeting continued between Daddy and Gabriel. I was focused on my picture when my phone started buzzing in my pocket. I had a message from my mom, and one from Jake. I stared down at the screen and felt sick.

I opened my mom's message first.

Your father and I are unpacking at home. We are having a big dinner if Knox and yourself would like to join.

I didn't reply. I closed the chat and hesitated before reading what Jake had sent. He was nice, but always when he received something in return. He hadn't texted me in months. 

I understand we haven't had the Disney relationship you always expected, Amara. But I am willing to change if you are open to it again. My mom really misses you. 

"Are you okay, Amara?" 

I looked up and gave Knox my best fake smile. I put my phone on the table and nodded. He didn't believe me. He continued talking with Gabriel.

I picked up my phone when it vibrated on the coffee table again.

I have someone I want you to meet when you decide to come back to me. 

I clicked on the picture and it was a puppy. It had different colored eyes and a sleek brown coat of fur. I felt myself melt into the couch looking at the dog. He was adorable! I shook my head and turned off my phone. 

I felt really bad for the dog. Jake never cared for himself, so how can he care for a fur-baby? When he stayed at my house, he didn't even know how to cook basics. He used conditioner before shampoo!

I sighed and looked at the coloring book. I felt like I was going to barf thinking about Jake, and my mom. My parents never liked me much, so why is she interested in supporting me being with Knox? Maybe when she Googled him, she found out he was a lawyer and needs him to bail her out of something.

A door slammed and I jumped in my seat. I looked around frantically and Gabriel has left. Knox locked the door behind him and approached me. 

"I can tell when you lie, you refuse to make eye contact. What happened, Amara?" Daddy asked me holding my hand. He didn't seem upset, only concerned.

I didn't speak. I handed him my phone to read for himself. I watched his reaction turn from annoyance to anger. His fingers tightly gripped the device.

I watched him click some buttons on my phone before holding it to his ear. He left the office and locked me inside. I wrapped my arms around myself and cuddled into the couch pillow. He was really mad.