Chapter Fourteen

hi guys, I tried to remember a lot of the big events in the book. I hope this chapter aligns with the previous ones and that the information is correct.

p.s I wrote half of this chapter on my phone. so I really apologise for any spelling errors. It is late at night right now as well.

I had received a text from my mom telling us to arrive at seven PM for dinner.

I inhaled deeply and tried to calm myself down. I always felt anxious around my parents, especially tonight when they are planning to ambush me.

I looked at myself in the mirror and frowned. I was wearing a white dress and small woven wedges. I felt pretty, and Knox thought so too when he turned me around and kissed me.

Daddy lifted his hands from my hips and grabbed my chin. He wiped my cheeks with the back of his hand as he looked at me.

"You are my good girl," Knox praised which made me happy. I felt my skin turn red when he refused to look away. He had beautiful eyes that crinkled whenever he looked at me. I liked that I could make him smile and feel that way.

"When we get home, we can test out some of the toys I have been looking at, hmm," Knox buried his face in my neck and started gliding his tongue towards my ear lobe. My legs felt wobbly and I'm glad he was there to hold me.

"Let's go and meet with the inlaws," Daddy joked. I followed him out the front door and out of the apartment.

⛧*┈┈┈┈﹤୨♡୧﹥ ┈┈┈┈*⛧

I tried not to think about it too much as we headed up the steps. Knox was hunched over behind me and had his hand on my back. It was encouraging but didn't dissolve any nightmares I had about coming here.

I balled my hand and tapped on the door. I tried to focus on my shoes when it opened. My dad greeted me, ignoring Knox. I looked at Knox shyly and followed my father's lead into the dining room.

I felt my stomach turn when he introduced Jake and his family to my boyfriend. Jake had his hair combed back and a smirk on his face. He shook Knox's hand before looking down at me. I grabbed Daddy's hand which he gladly held tightly, trying to reassure my dwindling confidence.

"Wow, Amara. Long time no see. I am glad you have kept yourself occupied during my absence," Jake attempted to wrap his arms around me but Knox pulled me back into him and held me firm. I am happy that he protected me and kept me safe.

My mom made an announcement with heavy heels and a plate of small snacks. She had a scowl on her face when she noticed the affection between Knox and myself. I tried to let it not get to me, but it did.

"Amara, so nice of you to join us. I was just telling our guests about your new... boyfriend."

Knox was still silent. I could feel the anger and heat radiate from him. He was mad at my mom, knowing the news she was about to try and drop onto me. His hands stopped me from moving any further.

"What were you talking about?" Knox said. His voice was deep and neutral, it was scary.

"Oh nothing," my mom tried to reassure me but failed miserably. She stared at my boyfriend without blinking. She put up a brave front in front of her guests, "just the fact that you have a violent history and went to lockup for beating someone up so bad they had to have rehab."

My mom's mouth was in a thin line. I swallowed thickly and looked up at Daddy. He was fuming and upset at my family. I followed behind him as he walked outside of the doors.

So much for dinner.

I tried to keep up with his long strides. It was hard walking quickly in wedges. I ignored my mom as she raced out of her home after us, I could hear Jake trailing behind her. She was screaming and throwing a tantrum. The last thing I heard her shout was that if I left with Knox, I shouldn't even think of coming back.

Her words stung something inside of me, but I couldn't go back even if I wanted to. She was mean to me and never cared. She only liked me for a connection to Jake and a potential relationship that could expand my father's business.

"Knox, I am so so sorry," I tried to speak loud for him. Knox stopped in front of his car.

When Knox turned around, he seemed to look overwhelmed. He picked me up and pressed his lips in my hair, gently kissing me.

His thumb ran down my jaw, and his eyes connected with mine. He was always like this with me. Gentle and caring.

"I am the one who should be apologising," Knox mumbled. He was defeated.

"My mom has practice at being nasty, she tries her best to be a good parent but she doesn't really learn her lesson, ever," I struggled to explain my relationship with her. It was confusing for me just as it was for him. Knox leaned forward and tugged on my bottom lip with his teeth.

"You are so pretty, Amara. You deserve so much," Daddy praised me and opened the passenger door to his car. I sat inside and waited for him to join me.

"I was expecting this evening with your parents to last... well, I didn't expect for your mom to bring everything up just as we arrived," Knox leaned across the car and buckled my seat belt for me. He drummed his fingers on the steering wheel as he thought.

"I will take you somewhere else for dinner, baby."

Knox picked up his phone and started scrolling through restaurants on Google. I noticed his jaw lock when his phone started quickly ringing soon after.

He flashes me the caller listed on the screen, it was Judah.

"What do you want?" Knox said abruptly. He flickered his eyes between streets in front of us, and myself.

"No, mhmm. I said no, fuck off. It's not happening. Really, is that so?.. Amara is with me now. Fuck... fine."

Knox threw his phone in the back seat and rubbed his face with his hands.

"Judah is at his work right now and has some investors interested in his club. He wants me to meet with them and give him my thoughts. I really don't want to go, but he is like a tick on my back that won't fucking leave until I do, I'm really sorry."

I pressed my lips together and puffed out my cheeks. I tried to seem thoughtful before nodding.

"I want to come with you."