𝐶𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑇𝐸𝑅 𝑆𝐼𝑋𝑇𝑌 𝐹𝐼𝑉𝐸

HOPBUSH

"I CAN'T BELIEVE--"

"Lily, I promise it's not what it looks like! I mean, maybe? I just-- Urgh!" James pushed Nicolas off him, trailing after Lily as he attempted to explain his situation.

Loki's eyes flicked to Nicolas, who gaped at the couple. Loki noticed the tears in his eyes, but she was already mad with him. His eyes flicked to Loki, bringing up his hand to stop her from moving, but she narrowed her eyes, and he faltered.

"What in Merlin's name, Nic possessed you to do that, Nic?" Loki seethed.

"No, Loki, please, just listen to me before you assume things," Nicolas pleaded. He began to tear up once more, sniffling. "It wasn't what it looked like, I swear."

"You told me James didn't like you like that!" Loki exclaimed.

"He doesn't!" Nicolas ran a hand through his hair, tugging it roughly at the roots. "We weren't kissing or anything, Loki. We were hugging. He was comforting me! He was the first person I ran into, and I just told him everything."

"What?" Loki frowned at the boy. She felt guilty for jumping to conclusions. Nicolas let out a shaky breath, and the girl took a hesitant step closer to him. "I'm sorry, Nic."

"It's fine. I suppose I should properly explain so you properly understand."

➪➪

"MERLIN. FREAKING. DAMMIT!"

Nicolas huffed, hitting the side of his closed fist against the wall he stood next to. He scrunched up the letter in his other hand, tears stinging the corners of his eyes. He blinked and sniffed. Nicolas pondered what to do, he could simply leave like he was told, or he could put up a fight. He didn't want to be placed into another home merely because of a small incident that occurred while he wasn't there. He despised the foster system.

"Oh, hey, Nic," the boy stiffened at James's voice. He sniffed without meaning to and cursed himself quietly for it. "Hey, are you okay?" The Gryffindor stepped around Nicolas to stand in front of him, gently tapping his forehead when Nicolas hung his head. "Nic, come on. You know you can talk to me."

Then Nic screwed up his face and let out a sob. He folded over, nearly crumpling to the ground; however, James reacted quickly and swooped his arms under Nicolas's before he could fall. He pulled the boy closer to him, holding Nicolas tight as he sobbed. James wasn't sure what to do. He allowed Nicolas to cry into his chest as they stood there. James gave pats to his back, keeping silent. Only when Nicolas's sobs quietened did he speak up.

"What's wrong?" James queried.

Nicolas pulled his head away from the Gryffindor's chest, sniffling and wiping away the tears on his cheeks. "It's--it's the stupid bloody foster people," he croaked. James hummed in query. He cocked his head and adjusted the glasses on his nose. "Something happened at home, and they came knocking threatening to take me, apparently. My parents haven't told me what about yet."

"Oh."

James looked elsewhere in search of the correct words to respond. He hadn't even known Nicolas was adopted. James felt bad for not knowing, even though he knew he shouldn't have. Suddenly, Nicolas's hands balled up James's shirt, and he was crying again. James wondered if he spoke aloud.

"Woah, Nic?" James frowned once more.

"I--I don't act like it, but I don't know what I would do if I didn't have my family anymore. I already lost one. I don't want to lose another, James," Nicolas blubbered. James's eyes widened at how broken each word sounded.

"Hey, hey," James pulled away from the boy, who looked up at him with furrowed brows. "Calm down, Nic. They won't take you away," he spoke. Niclas opened his mouth to object, but James clamped his hand over it. "They won't. And I know that you're going to say I wouldn't know, but if they try and take you, remember we're neighbours, and my parents will be happy to help you and your family."

Nicolas smiled softly at his words. He sniffled again, bringing up his hand and wiping away his tears. James returned the expression, then brought up a hand to ruffle Nicolas's hair. The Hufflepuff laughed and pushed his hand away, then peered back up at him through his lashes. The pair held eye contact for a few seconds. They forgot James still had his hand around Nicolas's waist. The boys only turned their heads when they heard a gasp, and a bolt of fear struck them.

Lily looked between the pair, Loki by her side. Several moments of silence passed. It was only when Lily's books slipped from her folded arms did everyone snap out of their trance.

"I can't believe--"

➪➪

"I'M SO SORRY."

Loki wrapped her arms around Nicolas's shoulders, pulling him down for a hug. He bit his tongue. He warily wrapped his arms around her torso, then buried his face into her shoulder, appreciating her actions. Loki stroked his hair, whispering several more apologies.

"I'm so sorry about your family and then Lily," she spoke when they finally pulled away. "Really."

Nicolas gave the girl a small smile. "It's alright. I don't blame you. But I just hope James is having luck with Lily. She was pretty upset about it."

Loki hummed. She glanced over her shoulder, her gaze falling to the ground where Lily's book sat. Nicolas followed her line of sight to the object and sighed.

"We should probably go look for them," Loki spoke up, her green eyes moving back to her best friend. He nodded. "I might know where Lily would have run off to, but I can't be one hundred percent certain. Just follow me." She beckoned the boy along. And, as they passed Lily's book, Loki noticed Nicolas grab it form the floor and hold it tightly in his hand.

AUTHOR'S NOTE 

hello, friends, how are you? i hope you've been doing well and that you've been drinking water. just want to let you all know I'm very proud of you and I'm glad you're here :)

thank you for reading. I'll let you go, now, so i'll see you later. bye! :)