Chapter 31:

Please note: This chapter is in Ransom's point of view:

RANSOM:

What is taking Evelyn so long?

She said she is just going to purchase sunglasses – because I broke hers accidentally – and it's been 15 minutes. I know it has been 15 minutes because my eyes are right on the clock in front of me in this clothing store, and I want to leave this store.

My fingers circle around my ring, but I then realize Evelyn is still wearing my ring. I don't mind if she is. I mean I put it on her finger last night. It's a subtle way to show other men that she is not available.

She never was available! I made sure of that.

Time is ticking on and I cannot wait a minute longer.

I walk over to the shop and I spot her – and I don't see a queue so what is taking her so long?

I halt at the entrance door because now I know why she is taking so long.

Jake...fucking Jake!

I recognize that stupid earring stud he wears – like some stupid punk – and I recognize his messy, messy hair – does he ever comb his hair?

Is he following Evelyn now? Or to be more precise, is he stalking my girlfriend?

"Hello Sir, do you –"

"Zip it." I shut the staff member up and I quickly hide behind a counter in the store so I can get closer to hear Evelyn and Jake's conversation.

"We are going to be working together. That's all." The dumbass speaks. "I just...I just cannot believe you'd jump to that conclusion."

What conclusion?

"My question was do you like me Jake? Ransom said –"

"Ransom!?!" Jake says through gritted teeth – I am assuming.

"I-I'm s-sorry I –"

"You sorry? How can you even think I like you romantically?"

Why is he sounding so aggressive? And why is he denying it?

This idiot clearly likes Evelyn. She needs to realize he doesn't want to just work with her.

"It's just...you get so nervous around me." her voice is soft and beautiful.

My heart beats a little faster as I hear her voice.

"Nervous?" Jake scoffs. "You think I am nervous around you?"

Woah! Jake's attitude is getting more aggressive.

"B-By Linda's house...y-you w-were speaking normally with the people there, but the minute you saw me, you acted all nervous." Evelyn stammers.

There's silence. I cannot see Jake's expression, but I am guessing he is trying to make up some rubbish story to tell her that she is wrong.

"Jake..."

"Maybe it could be because you are working with a famous author who chose me to work with you whereas he could have asked his son or... it could be because you are dating an absolute asshole. Or it could be because every time I look at you, all I see are your br-bre..." Jake babbles off.

Asshole? And he looks at Evelyn's breasts every time he sees her? Is that what he was going to say?

I bet he is looking at her chest right now!

I want to stand up and walk toward Evelyn and Jake, but I need to see where this conversation goes.

"Why are you dating that asshole anyway? He is seriously not worth your time."