Chapter 44:

EVELYN:

"That was....tiring..." I collapse on the couch, sighing for relief.

What a hike!

"The hike was fun." Ransom collapses next to me and smiles – like a cute child!

Sheila joins us, but she jumps right off the couch and runs toward the backdoor.

"I think Sheila wants to go outside." I exhale.

I am so tired!

"You think?" Ransom jokes.

I crease my brows at him and faintly smile.

"Let me open the door for her. She probably wants water." Ransom laughs and then stands up to let Sheila outside.

How is Ransom not tired?

I'm exhausted!

And I used to always go hiking in the past...

Ransom sits back down and interlaces my hand in his, but I pull my hand away.

"Ransom! You are sweating."

And you don't smell...I add silently.

Can this man be anymore perfect?

"Look who's talking?" Ransom wipes his finger across my upper lip and shows me the sweat from my face.

Ew!

I grimace at Ransom. "Yet you claim I am beautiful?"

Ransom chortles. "Everyone sweats Evelyn."

"And smells." I twitch my lips.

"That too."

"Yet you don't." I remark.

"Oh really?" Ransom arches a brow.

I shrug.

"Anyway...now that we are back from hiking, I want to take a shower." Ransom rubs my knee and then stands up.

"Aren't you going to join me?" he halts by the staircase – I think. It sounds like he is at the staircase.

I don't need to look at him to know he is smirking when he asked that question.

I turn my head, but then I moan in pain. "I would..." I sigh. "...if my body could move." I laugh, but it is humorless.

My body is stiff! I need to stretch my muscles, but they hurt.

I hear Ransom's footsteps and he is standing in front of me.

"Put your arm around me." Ransom bends down and I feel his arms wrap around me.

"No! I'm sweaty!" I whine.

"This isn't my first time seeing you sweat. You know that right?" he asks rhetorically.

I sigh and then use what strength I have to drape my arm around Ransom's neck – groaning in the process.

"You really need to workout more, and walking is out of the question. You walk every day. I'm talking about weight lifting or going to the gym."

"So our intimate moments don't count?" I tease, but my voice is breathless.

"Hey!" Ransom tickles me. "You just need to exercise more, and by that I mean weight lifting or something."

"Walking is enough for me." I state.

Ransom laughs. "Well you need to incorporate another form of exercise other than walking."