Chapter 28:

"You need to go shopping for a new dress, because none of these dresses will be approved by my mother."
I look at Ransom in bewilderment.

"You know what I mean." Ransom looks at the few dresses in front of him.

I stand back, placing my hands on my hips like a disappointed mother to her child. "These dresses are fine. Linda won't even notice me there anyway, so why should I bother dressing up?"

"But I will notice Evelyn. I will." Ransom continues to rummage through the dresses to see which one is better looking.

He quietly says "no" to each dress he looks at.

"Okay. Ransom...stop." I move his hand away and close the cupboard.

Why is he so worried about the clothes I wear to his mother's function?

She won't even notice!

But he will notice...

"Let's go to your house. Maybe you have better dresses there." Ransom says rather hastily.

"I don't have any dresses at my place."

"Not one?" Ransom quavers.

"No, and would you relax? Why are you so tensed up?" I furrow my brows.

Ransom looks down and squeezes his hands into fists. His whole body looks tense and stiff.

"I'm sure there's something I can find." I change the subject and open the cupboard, but Ransom slams the cupboard shut.

I narrow my eyes at him. "Fine. Then I guess I will go to my place to find an outfit, and while I'm there...maybe I should also take Sheila home too since I am leaving tomorrow."

The plan! Don't forget about the plan!

A plan I may or may not see through...judging by the way Ransom is acting lately is really making me think about seeing this plan through.

Ransom looks at me and instantly freezes. "Y-You...You are going home tomorrow?"

I nod. "That was the deal. I stay with you for the week and then I can go back home. The paint should be dry by now." I mean it's been a whole week!! Paint takes about a day or two to dry!

"S-So you're leaving?" Ransom's bottom lip quivers slightly.

"Ransom, I -" I look into Ransom's eyes and they seem...distant...almost like he isn't registering what is happening.

I move next to him and his eyes do not follow me. He stands like a statue with his hands fidgeting at his pants.

Hmm...I need to see if he will move.

"So I guess I should start packing now since I will be leaving here tomorrow." I grab my bag and I start to move to the bed.

Ransom doesn't move, but I notice his eyes follow me to the bed.

It worked!

I turn my back to Ransom and start to pack my bag - well I pretend to pack my bag because the clothes I pack in are not even mine.

"I was thinking maybe tomorrow afternoon you can take me ho-"

"NO!" Ransom screeches, making me jump in place.

"What the...Dammit Ransom!" I place my hand over my heart because I think my heart may have just jumped out my chest.

"You can't leave!" Ransom reaches for my bag and throws it across the room.