Chapter 1:

I rummage through my cupboard to see what food I have left in my apartment. I am running late already and I have errands to run today.

My phone buzzes and I see who it is.

"Hello H -Mr. Thrombey." I answer on the first ring.

"Evelyn darling! Can you pop through to my place today? I would like us to discuss your novel." Harlan kindly asks.

I look at my wall clock. "Of cause I can. I just need to run a few errands before I can see you. Would that be okay?"

"That sounds perfect. Fran will meet you at the door. I have given Marta the day off because she has family business to attend to. And call me Harlan dear." Harlan warmly says and hangs up the phone.

I smile to myself. I was taught as I grew up to respect my elders. When I first met Harlan, I called him "Mr. Thrombey.", but he tells me to call him by his first name. I did seem to have certain faces glaring at me every time I called him "Harlan".

I look at the wall clock and curse. It is nearly the afternoon and I have slept for most of the morning. The shops will close soon. Thank you Sundays!

I finish packing my lunchbox for the day because I really don't have to make breakfast. I know I am going to be on the road for most of the time, so I need to pack some food for the road. This time I remembered to actually pack myself some healthy food - well if you consider a packet of salted chips, crackers, mixed nuts and a soda a healthy snack.

I climb into my car and my phone buzzes. It's a text from him. I don't bother reading the text because I have more important tasks to do today. I throw my phone on the seat next to me and I jolt when I see myself in the rear view mirror. My hair is still in an untidy bun from when I woke up and my face looks pale. I grab what makeup I have in my bag and try to make myself look good - at least presentable. I look down to see that I am wearing normal clothing and not my pajamas.

I start the engine and pull out of my driveway. I first drive to the hardware store. Before I enter the store, I reach for my phone to view what I need to purchase.

Light bulbs X2

Electrical Cable X1

20L Lilac paint X2

20L Undercoat paint X1

I was fortunate enough to have one of the staff members carry the paint tins to my car.

"Thanks Larry." I look at the tall, lanky man's name tag.

"Anytime Ma'am. Don't forget that we do offer a service where our selected staff members will come out and paint whatever you need painted." He smiles at me. I thank him and tell him that I will think about it. My father has offered to help me paint the interior of my apartment.

The next stop I drive to is the grocery store. I take a look at my grocery list on my phone as I grab hold of a trolley and start to scratch out what I am picking up:

Broccoli

Chamomile tea - For Harlan

Avocado - Ripe and ready

1 Bag Apples

1 Pack Grapefruit

2L Milk X2

Cucumber

Cauliflower

Sweet Potatoes

Can of baked beans X3

Pet food X1

Spaghetti pasta