Chapter 38:

RANSOM:

Evelyn stands completely still – like she is immobile.

I think she is too shocked to say or do anything – she was caught in the act of snooping.

She should be!

I'd like to know why she drove – with Jake of all people – to my mother's house, just to read my diary?

My fucking secret diary!

Or was she returning my diary? How long has she been holding onto my diary?

I decide not to press Evelyn as to why she is even in my old bedroom, reading my damn diary.

I'd prefer to wait until Evelyn can explain herself to me.

Unfortunately, Evelyn doesn't open her mouth to speak.

She just looks around the room.

Probably planning a way to escape the room, but she can't since I am blocking her only escape.

Unless she decides to jump out the window...

No! She won't! She's not stupid.

The truth is I want to reprimand Evelyn and interrogate her as to why she is even at my mother's house, but I need to find the right words to say...

If I say the wrong words which may lead to Evelyn possibly leaving me...I will regret it!

I sigh and I shift my feet, while leaning against the doorway.

I look at my watch and notice that Evelyn does not say anything for at least 15 minutes.

I decide that once Evelyn starts talking, I will interrupt her...

Finally, Evelyn's lips quivers. "I-I-I did-didn –"

I hold up my hand up to silence her. "Just get in the car." I instruct. "And that is my car that you will be getting into, not Jake's car." I add in case she decides to get cocky and get in that idiot's car.

She is not running away from this conversation...

Evelyn's breathing quickens. "B-Back t-to Harl –"

"We are not going back to Harlan's house. We are going home." I snarl.

Evelyn takes a step back. There's fear in her eyes.

Dammit! I'm too angry to control my temper!

"Evelyn so help me, if I have to drag you out of here while you kick and scream...I will." I warn, glaring at her.

Evelyn gulps and looks down. She grabs her bag with her trembling hands and she walks out the bedroom.

"I will meet you outside shortly." I say curtly.

Evelyn doesn't look at me as she walks toward the stairs.

"The car's unlocked." I inform her.

Evelyn halts for a few seconds and then proceeds to walk down the stairs.

I shouldn't be so hard on her.

I need to watch my temper around her. I cannot lose her!

Not again.

She means too much to me!

I make the smart move not to give her my car keys – because I have a feeling that she will drive off and leave me behind.