Chapter 16:

I place the water bowl down and Sheila immediately starts to drink the water. I sit on the step next to my dog while she drinks. I am too anxious to go inside to face Ransom.

Admittedly, I regret how I made him feel earlier but I just wanted him to know how frustrating he makes me feel when I am with him.

I wanted him to feel what I feel: annoyed, angry and hurt. Does he realize however, that what I did to him earlier also affected me too? The run didn't work for me at all because my stomach is still in knots. It hurts. So much.

I bow my head and exhale. I look at the fallen leaves scattered on the grass. It's getting darker now. I don't know how long I ran with Sheila for, but by the looks of Sheila – who was panting as we arrived back to Ransom's house – I think we ran for miles.

I close my eyes and try to think about anyone else either than Ransom...I think about my mother who I need to call, then my father who I also need to call...but unfortunately my mind goes straight back to Ransom. Day one is nearly over, which means I still have 6 full days left with this asshole. So far...it is not going well. He has already mocked me, which hurt me emotionally. What is next?

Suddenly, Sheila starts to growl, which makes me nearly jump off the step – and tumble to the ground.

"Stop that." My voice is firm.

"You stink." I hear an all too familiar deep voice say. Ransom!

I quickly open my eyes and look in front of me. Ransom is only inches away from me, looking like a disappointed father who is scolding his child.

"Hello." I blurt. Hello? Why did I greet him? You idiot!

"Hello? HELLO? Is that all you have to say for yourself?" his tone is harsh, but I couldn't care less.

I raise my chin to meet his eyes. Those beautiful blue eyes, which seem to be a darker color than usual.

"Earth to Evelyn!" Ransom waves his hand in front of me. "Did the leaves somehow blow in your ears?" he massages the back of his neck.

I glare at him at first, and then I stand up. I don't speak to him. Instead, I turn to walk away, but Ransom grabs my arm.

"Not so fast." Ransom's voice is like ice.

I yank my arm away and walk inside. Sheila follows me – with water drooling down her mouth.

"Mat." I order to my dog, who walks around in circles at first, and then she lays down.

I hear footsteps behind me. Ransom wants answers from me, but I don't want to talk to him. I race to get upstairs. I get a whiff of my own sweaty smell, and I need to shower.

I am just about to close the bathroom door when Ransom yanks my arm once again.

"I was not done talking!" Ransom shouts.

"Let me go!" I urge. "I want to shower."

"She speaks!" Ransom mocks, while still holding onto my arm.

I scrunch my face."Fuck you!" I exclaim. "Now let me g-". Ransom pulls me around until I collapse on the bed. In seconds, Ransom is on top of me. He tries to grab my hands, but I dodge his hands. I open one of my hands and in one swift move; I slap him across his left cheek. Ransom instantly freezes for a few moments, then, he looks directly into my eyes. It looks as if his eyes are protruding, and he slightly bares his teeth. I hit a nerve.

"Do. Not. Provoke. Me." he warns. He places his hands on either side of me, blocking me from leaving the bed.

"Or what?" I counter.