Chapter 37:

EVELYN:

"I'm so sorry! Are you alright?" Jake holds his hand out for me.

"You just surprised me." I breathe.

Jake lowers his eyes and he shuts them immediately. "Shit! I am sorry."

I tilt my head to the side and look down.

Oh great!

My dress has pulled up; showing my underwear and Jake – of all people – can see it, just like when he saw another part of my body I didn't want him to see.

At least I have underwear on this time.

I quickly pull my dress down and I stand up on my own.

"You can open your eyes now." I say rather irritably.

Jake peaks one eye open and looks around like a character from a movie, making sure the coast is clear. He then opens both his eyes.

Wait! Why is Jake even at this house when I am here too?

He sighs, but I seem to think he is sighing in annoyance and not in relief. "Well you're okay so..."

"What are you doing here?" I prompt, sounding a little aggressive. "Were you following me?" I query.

Jake scowls. "What? No! I was –"

"Jake! So glad you could make it!"
No!

I know that voice! Her voice is like nails on a chalk board.

Linda!

Jake looks past me and I turn around to see Linda walking toward us.

I really wish that was not her car in the driveway when I arrived here!

Linda opens her arms and hugs Jake. "Come with me. We have business to attend to." Linda says, completely ignoring me.

As usual!

"I need to get my laptop first and then we can talk business." Jake smiles at Linda.

Well I guess this confirms that Linda and Jake are friends.

"Did you also bring the box I asked for?" Linda asks Jake.

"Yes. It's in my car. Evelyn." Jake looks at me. "Can you help me?"

I blink, frowning. "Why would you need me to help you carry a box? Can't you do it yourself?" I raise my hands to my sides. "Or ask a staff member to help." I add.

I cannot be seen next to Jake!

If Ransom has to walk out that study...

"And you expect me to wait for Jake all because you refused to help him?"

She speaks!

I don't look at Linda.

"Go help Jake. It's not like you are doing anything useful anyway." Linda's voice is so condescending.

That's it!

"Last I checked, I don't take orders from you." I sneer the last word at Linda.

Linda opens her mouth to speak, but I hold my hand up. "I don't care what you have to say because I am going." I aim toward the stairs.

"Going where?" Linda chastises.

"Far away from you as possible." I don't look at Linda when I speak. My eyes are focused on the stairs.

"Let me get the box for you." I hear Jake say to Linda.