Chapter 50:

Please read the Writer's note before continuing with this chapter.

Ransom:

I fall on my knees, and I burst into tears.

I allow my tears to actually stream down my face. I don't care.

"Evelyn!" I cry aloud.

I know she cannot hear me, but apart of me wants her to hear my cry.

"My beautiful Evelyn...why...why did you have to..." I scrunch my face.

I look at the stupid diary entry – that I should have tossed in the trash months ago – and I grab it to tear it up, scattering pieces of paper on the floor.

Evelyn needs to read the other diary entry. I wrote that one after she caught me making out with Callie...before she walked out on me and I was in a state for 2 weeks...anyway, once Evelyn reads that diary entry...she will understand. I know she will.

My dear Evelyn...why did she have to go behind my back and read that diary entry! She was not meant to find out! I knew if she found out, she would break up with me – again!

The thing is...I honestly didn't think the plan I made to win Evelyn back was going to succeed, not in a million years.

I knew my mother and Evelyn would get into some sort of fight. My mother despises Evelyn – which I can't stand – and Evelyn knows to stand up for herself where my mother is concerned. I knew Evelyn would not turn down Harlan's invite to the family dinner – plus Harlan considers Evelyn part of the family.

I also knew I would be an asshole to Evelyn, but I was angry at the time. I was an asshole to everyone, even to the women I hooked up with. I was angry because I thought Evelyn was happy and I thought she forgot about me.

When I wrote that diary entry...at the time Evelyn was predictable and I knew what she liked to do each day...why did she have to be predictable?

Plus, I didn't think my mother would slap Evelyn, which would make Evelyn want to leave the dinner. I only showed up when I saw Evelyn and my mother outside, because I was about to leave and go home. After Evelyn left the dinner table to go outside...I decided to leave the house. I knew my plan was working perfectly, almost too perfectly, and it freaked me out. Well it actually scared me!

After Evelyn left the dinner table, I got up and spoke to Harlan quickly, and that was when my mother burst into Harlan's office, demanding why Evelyn had to be at the dinner party. I told my mother to just leave Evelyn alone, but clearly, she didn't. She started screaming to Harlan that Evelyn doesn't belong in our family, and I couldn't just stand there listening to my mother bad mouth Evelyn. That was when I wanted to leave Harlan's house, but just as I walked to my car, I overheard Evelyn and my mother shouting at each other. I saw my mother slap Evelyn, and I acted on impulse. I thought this could be my chance to be Evelyn's hero and rescue her.

Even though I'm no hero.

I didn't actually think my plan would work...but then again, why didn't I throw that fucking diary entry away? Why didn't I tear it up and throw it away when I had the chance? Why did I decide to keep it?

Because you're a moron!

But how did Evelyn find those pages? I specifically hid them in one of the books...oh no! That book must have fallen on the ground and Evelyn discovered the diary entries!

That is probably why Evelyn was crying! She was worried that I didn't love her. Evelyn thought I was only pretending to love her to win her back.

Oh no! Evelyn! My Evelyn! My heart!

I cannot believe that I was the one who ended up hurting her – again! First with Callie, then with that stupid diary entry.