XIII. A Favor

"Shut up! You didn't!" His eyes went wide after my confession and his voice sounded muffled because of the chips he was eating.
He swallowed and kept talking with a clearer voice.
"You actually went to his house?!"
"Well yeah, 'cause you said to get closer to him! It was YOUR plan!" I countered, trying to put the blame of that disaster on someone else that wasn't me.
"Woah hold your horses, I never said to barge into his house uninvited and with a terribly lame excuse, only to cause trouble and then run away!"
"That's not exactly what happened, weren't you listening? Lia invited me in and then I didn't exactly cause trouble, it's just that when I get nervous I start talking without filters..." I tried to justify myself.
"Yeah okay, but you clearly got busted anyway... You said he seemed to know that you weren't there just by chance..."
"Yeah, 'cause apparently he's a bag's lover... Like honestly, what man would notice the difference between this and this?" I said, showing him my two bags, the one I bring to the Lab and the one I used in the morning. They were from the same brand and belonged to the same collection, they were just of two different sizes.
"Well, he's either into fashion or..." He paused.
"Or what?" I asked him to continue, but something interrupted our conversation.

The doorbell.

"Your parents forgot the door code?" Tae asked, curious of who it could be.
"Can't be them... It's too early, they should be still working..." I said, looking at the the small analog clock that I was wearing as pendant of my long necklace, a gift from my grandma. It was 6:30 pm.
We both stood up and went to the door. The camera of my videophone showed the back of some hooded figure. Tae and I looked at each other, then I clicked on the mic button and talked.
"Who is it?"
As soon as that person heard my voice, he turned around and my eyes, as well as Tae's, went wide.
"Moon, it's me, I need to talk to you..."
I went into panic mode.
"What the hell is he doing here?" I asked Tae as if he knew the answer, but he was even more clueless than me.
"Moon? You there?" Jungkook's voice echoed through my interphone again, pressuring me to do something.
Tae pointed at the door and shrugged, as if he was saying 'There's not much you can do except opening the damn door.'
So that's what I did.

When I opened the door, he turned his head my way and seemed about to say something, but then Tae opened the door even more to see what was going on. When Jungkook saw him, his expression changed. At first he frowned confused, then he scoffed and pushed his tongue against the inside of his right cheek.
"And you're still gonna deny it?" He asked, shaking his head.
"Wh-what?" I was taken aback by his sudden question. He didn't even say hi.
"You and... this guy... You're still gonna deny you two are together?"
"I'm not following you..." I looked at Tae confused and he had a raised eyebrow, as if he knew what Jungkook was talking about but was just waiting for him to say it.
"I can do 1 plus 1 too... It's Saturday night and you two are in your house alone... I'm not dumb..." He said, as if I had offended him in some way, but I honestly didn't know where that was coming from.
"And did you come here to ask her this?" Tae asked him while I was busy trying to understand the situation.
"No, I came here to ask her something else, but if I'm interrupting a date, then-"
"Jeon, we talked about this!" I interrupted him. "Tae is my best friend, this is not a date... I don't understand why you're still convinced that we're together... Can't I invite my best friend to my house?"

He looked at me and stayed silent. After a few seconds, I spoke again.
"So what is it that you wanted to ask?"
"Does he have to be here?" He asked, glaring at Tae.
"Do you have a problem with me?" Tae was clearly getting annoyed, which happened every time Jungkook was around and I had to calm him down once again.
"Tae, Tae... Can you give us a minute? Just wait for me in my room, okay?"
Tae nodded and went inside, while I closed the front door behind me. Tae is not someone who likes conflicts, much less violence, but Jungkook liked to provoke him for some reason  and I still didn't understand why. I mean, they had no interaction whatsoever in the past eight years and, even if Tae did do something to him back in middle school, it would be crazy for him to still be holding a grudge.

"So he stays in your bedroom?" Jungkook asked, referring to the sentence I had just said to Tae.
"Well, yeah... Why wouldn't he? We're friends, it's not weird... I've also been in your bedroom... Actually, you dragged me into your bedroom... Oh no, that sounds weird... But that's how it went, so-"
My nervous talk back at it again.
"Okay, okay, I got the point..." He stopped me, probably feeling secondhand embarrassment, understandably.
"So why did you come?" I asked, getting back to the main topic of the conversation.
"Oh, yeah, uhmm... The thing is... Lia, she asked me to ask you something and... I was gonna text you first, but we're kinda short on time, so..."
"Short on time? What do you mean? To do what?" I asked, confused by his sudden statement.
"Well, she is gonna throw a party tonight... you know, the kind of party you do when you're in the last year of high school... and she asked me to ask you if you can be there too..."
"Me? Oh my high school days are long gone, I don't think I'd fit in..." I laughed.
"No, she meant as a chaperone... I said I would do it, but she said that the girls would feel uncomfortable to tell me if they had any problem..."
"Oh yeah no, they most definitely won't... You always make girls feel sooo comfortable, don't you?" I made fun of him, just a little bit.
"Oh, come on, can you stop giving me a hard time?" He said defeated.
I laughed at that, knowing I finally got him on something and got a little revenge.
"Okay okay, I'll shut up... Anyway, I understand what Lia means, but does it have to be me? I don't know if I'm good at this stuff, I've never done it..." I answered unsure.
"It's easy, you don't have to do anything, just check on the kids every now and then, make sure nobody gets hurt and enjoy the party..." He shrugged.
"Oh wow, looks like you take the job very seriously..." I said sarcastically.
"I do... So what? Are you coming or your little rendezvous can't be postponed?" He said, nodding towards my front door.
"Ah ah ah, you're so funny... Well, even if I could come, I need to find something to wear first, so you'll have to wait..."
"Lia said she can take care of that too, but we have to hurry, the party should start in about an hour..."
"I usually get ready in 5 minutes so I don't see the rush..." I countered.
"Well, Lia, she likes to take her time... So, you coming?"