XXII. Take A Chance

"I'll go get my clothes..." I said, trying to get off that roller coaster of emotions.
"Sure"
I walked to Lia's room, opened the door and then closed it behind me, suddenly feeling the need to inhale deeply, as if I had been holding my breath the whole time.
I didn't understand what was happening and why he was acting like that. It even occurred to me that it was part of a bigger plan to humiliate me, but he wouldn't waste his time like that, would he?
My head was spinning with all these questions. That was exactly why I wanted to stop liking him, every time I see signs that don't exist and then I get disappointed as if I even had a chance to begin with.

I saw my clothes on one of the chairs in Lia's room and took them, as well as a couple of make up wipes she had on her desk. I opened the door and checked if anyone was around, mostly if Jungkook was.
When I noticed nobody was there, I walked to the guest's room, where I had left the rest of my stuff. I changed into my clothes, removed my make up and fixed the bedsheets. I left Lia's pajama and Jungkook's t-shirt on the bed and I took the dress, even though I wasn't still convinced if I should've accepted such a gift from Jungkook's sister.

I went downstairs and found her in the kitchen, having breakfast. I told her my doubts about taking the dress, but just like the night before, she said that if I didn't take it she would've given it away anyway. So I thanked her again.

"It's really not a big deal, after the big favor you did me last night... I really hope to see you again soon, Luna!" She answered with a big smile, as pretty as ever even though she had just woken up.
I smiled back, but in the back of my head a feeling of guilt started surfacing.
"I'm ready..." Jungkook's voice interrupted my thoughts.
I hugged Lia and told her to say bye to her oldest brother as well.
Then I followed Jungkook to the garage and then into his car.

During the drive to my house, the atmosphere felt slightly awkward, so I spoke up.
"I left your t-shirt on the bed, in the room where I slept..."
"Oh... okay... good..."
And then back to total silence.
I didn't know what else to say, so I kept quiet while looking out of the car window. Then I texted my mom to tell her I was safe and that I would be home soon, so she wouldn't worry.
Not much time passed and we were already in front of my house. Only then I realized I couldn't let my parents see me coming back home with a guy, so before he would slow down the car even more and park in front of my house, I stopped him.

"No no no! Keep going!"
He looked at me confused, but then did as I told him. He pushed his feet on the gas and kept going.
"What was that for?" He then asked when we had reached the end of the street.
"Here is fine... What do you think my parents are gonna think seeing me come back with you?" I tried to make him understand the situation.
"Well, I... We... It's not like that, I mean... I could explain it to them..." He stuttered.
"No, that would make it even weirder! I'll just say I slept at Tae's house... After all, in the text you said 'friend' and he's kinda the only friend I have... Not that I remember you sending the text! I just found it there this morning... Thanks by the way..." I said, trying to avoid making the same mistake twice and exposing my lie of not remembering the previous night.
"So, you've slept at his house before?" He asked, totally ignoring the rest of my words.
"At Tae's? No, we always hang out at my house..."
"So he slept at your house?" He asked, insistently.
"Well, he falls asleep on my bed sometimes, especially when I'm studying for an exam and I ask him to help me... He says science is boring..." I explained, smiling while saying the last sentence.

Then I realized Jungkook wasn't making any more questions, I turned to look at him and he was looking outside of the window, ruffling his hair with his hand as if he was frustrated by something.
"Oh sorry, I'll go, you're probably busy..." I said, thinking he was upset because he was running late for something. Maybe the meeting his friend Jimin had talked about.
I opened the car door, but then I felt his hand grabbing my arm.
"Moon, wait!" His tone wasn't the usual calm tone he uses.
He sounded and looked conflicted, like he had a lot of stuff running through his head.
"What?" I asked him, closing the door again and looking him in the eyes.
He removed his hand from my arm and went back to torturing his hair.
I tried to ignore how attractive he looked, because it seemed he was being serious.
"If... I mean, if I was nicer to you... would you get to like me?" He asked, leaving me completely in shock.
Why was he asking such a thing? I started thinking that maybe he had realized I have a crush on him by my behaviour of the previous night and now was trying to understand if it was true and how to act around me.
I panicked at the thought of him knowing I liked him, so I tried to convince him of the opposite.

"Me liking you?! How would that be even possible? We can't stand each other, remember? I just helped you last night, because your sister needed it... and whatever I said or did when I was drunk, just forget it... You don't have to worry, I'm not gonna be another one of your fans..."
I could've probably phrased it all better, but the words just came out of my mouth so fast that I didn't have time to put it nicely.
I was too scared that things would get awkward, especially at the Lab, if he knew I liked him.
"Right... It wouldn't make sense..." He said under his breath.
"I'll see you on Monday..." He added, louder.
"Bye" I said, before rapidly getting out of the car so that he wouldn't notice my face now completely red.
While walking towards my house, my brain started replaying all the moments with Jungkook since we had seen each other again at the Lab. Seeing all of those situations again, under a different light, it almost looked like he was trying to tell me something every time, but I had ignored him.
I stopped walking.
I turned around.
His car was still there.
My feet started moving, running, back to his car.
I didn't know if it was all in my head and I didn't know if it was even a good idea, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't gonna regret this for the rest of my life.
Even if there was the tiniest chance that he liked me, I wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining it.