XX. Scrambled Eggs

"Oh, cool... Cool... Uhmm... So I'll... I guess I'll go back to sleep..." I said, not really knowing how to continue the conversation.
"Yeah, sure... Goodnight..."

Maybe he was just sleepy and didn't feel like teasing me. Maybe I should've waited for the next day. Or maybe the plan was a total failure and I had just ended up liking him even more than I did before. My brain was a total mess and it took me a while to fall asleep again.

The next morning I woke up around 8 a.m., still in the guest's bed of Jungkook's house. I wanted to put my clothes on but then I remembered I had left them in Lia's room, where I got dressed the night before. And, obviously, putting on the super elegant dress that Lia had given me wasn't an option, so I had to keep the pajama on, even though I felt naked.
I cautiously opened the door, checking if there was anyone in the hallway. If Lia had been there, I could've asked her for my clothes back, but nobody was there and when I walked up to her door, it was still closed, so I assumed she was still sleeping and I didn't want to bother her.
Jungkook's door was closed as well, so I thought he was also still sleeping. I decided to go to the kitchen before going back to the room, because I was feeling a tiny bit hungry, considering the night before I had only eaten a few treats from the party's buffet, reason why I also got drunk faster.
Once I arrived in the kitchen, that I was starting to know really well, I realized, to my surprise, that Jungkook was there.

I wanted to go back to my room, hoping he hadn't seen me, but it was too late for that.
"Moon, you up already?" He asked.
Defeated, I entered the room and then I noticed he was cooking breakfast. I didn't expect him to be doing that on his own. I mean doesn't he have the machanic arms for that? I could see them over the kitchen, but they were turned off.
"I could ask you the same thing..." I answered vaguely, while looking at him scrambling some eggs.
"I know it doesn't look like it, but I'm an early bird..." He said, looking at me with a smile before going back to focusing on the eggs.
I was really not liking the vibe, it felt like a romantic morning, the plan was definitely not working, I had to get out of there. Fast.

"Yeah, uhmm... Is Lia also an early bird? 'Cause, you know, I left my clothes in her room and I can't really go home without them, so..." I tried to explain.
"I'm sure she'll wake up... At some point... You can eat breakfast in the meantime..." He said, putting a plate filled with scrambled eggs on the table.
"If you'd like something else just tell me, I'll see what I can do... I'm not a chef but I'm not that bad either..." He then added, sounding way too sweet.
That was the last drop.
"Okay, what is this? Why are you acting like this? It's weird, it's not like you... You don't usually treat me so... nicely... Is it part of a big plan to tease me later or what?" I started spitting questions, because I felt frustrated.
This wasn't our usual dynamic and I wanted to understand what had changed it.

"What?! I'm not being nice... I'm just, I'm being normal..." He tried to dissimulate, but I gave him a 'I am not buying it' look and he gave up.
"Okay, fine... I, I was just thinking... 'Cause, well, you said something last night..." His voice went lower and lower and the last part was almost inaudible.
"You said I didn't say anything weird..." I pointed out, afraid of which one of the many embarrassing things I had said he was gonna mention.
There was no way I was gonna escape the conversation now, so I just sat down at the table and started eating, trying not to look too anxious even though I was.

"No, well, it was nothing weird, you just... We were talking and it sounded like you were thinking about someone you... like..."
I chocked on the food.
After coughing a couple of times, I spoke again, feeling flustered.
"S-someone I like? What? There's no such thing- well, person... You must've misunderstood..." I'm such a bad liar.
"Oh come on! Who is he?" He insisted, after sitting down in front of me at the table.
"You said he's smart and funny..." He added, trying to push me to admit it.
"Nah-ah... I said my type would be someone who's smart and funny, I never said-" I stopped mid-sentence, realizing the huge mistake I had just done.
"Wait, you said you didn't remember anything..." He pointed out, destroying my hopes of my mistake going unnoticed.
"I, well, I remember some parts, like the very beginning, when I wasn't like super drunk, I guess..." I tried to save my face.

His eyes were scanning my expression, looking for the truth.
"Who is he?" He then asked again, serious.
He wasn't gonna let it go and of course I couldn't tell him the truth, it would've made things awkward between us or he could've even laughed at me, since he's clearly out of my league.
I don't mean I think I'm not enough for him, I know my worth. It's just that, we come from two completely different worlds. Of course it's the same with Tae, but Tae is more a natural than he is a GM. Not that I have prejudices and think that all the GM kids are the same, but unfortunately, in my experience, most of them are.

"Someone I know..." I thought that denying it would've just made it more obvious, so I decided to slightly bend the truth.
"Do I know him?" He asked, still curious, but his expression wasn't the one he usually has when he's trying to make me say something that he's gonna use to tease me.
"No... He's not from uni..."
"Where did you meet him, then?"
"Why are you asking me all these questions? As if you cared..." I said, not really ready to create a whole fake story about a non-existing boy at 8 in the morning while being hangover.
"Why do you even like him? You said he doesn't treat you well... I thought you were smarter than that..." He commented, completely ignoring my question.
I just bursted out laughing, being the only one in the room who could see the irony of it all.
"It's funny you say that... Well, yeah, I am smarter than that, so I should probably stop liking him... He doesn't even like me back, so..." I said with a bitter smile.
"I doubt that..." He whispered to himself, while going to get another plate for him.
"What?" I asked, even though I had heard him. I just didn't understand what he meant.

"Nothing... Nevermind..." He shook his head, while filling his plate with the rest of the scrambled eggs he had prepared.
Then, with the dish in his hands, he started walking towards the door.
"Where are you going?"