XV. The Chaperone Couple

Half an hour later, Lia's work on me was done. I had the dress on and she had made me wear her black gladiator heeled sandals. Then she spent a lot of time on my make-up, which turned out amazing. My lips were glossy and my eyes full of silver glitters.

"There you go!" She said, putting down the brush.
"Thank you! It's beautiful! I'm sorry I'll have to cover it with my glasses..." I said, feeling also a bit disappointed myself.
I had forgotten to bring my contact lenses, because I rarely wear them. I tried them for a short period of time, when I was in high school, just so my classmates wouldn't bully me, but they were really uncomfortable so I stopped wearing them.
"Don't worry, it's okay! Your glasses really suit your face shape and also, I put so much glitter on your eyes that even if you had a bag on your face it would still shine through!" She said laughing and making me laugh too.
So I put my glasses back on, finally being able to see all so much clearer. I looked into the big mirror she had on one of the walls and I realized I had never looked like this. So dressed up. Then I turned around to thank her again and I realized that she was still wearing the same clothes she had on when I arrived. She followed my stare and looked at her clothes as well, her eyes widening.
Then without saying a word she rushed into the closet, reappearing a few seconds later.

"Hey, you can go, Bunny is probably ready as well... You'll get bored if you stay here while I get ready..." She said with an awkward smile.
"Oh no, don't worry... I wanna help, like you helped me... Even though I'm really not good at any of this..." I said, wanting to return her kindness, but also not really knowing how.
"Don't even worry about it! It was so much fun! And I can handle myself, don't worry!" She smiled and I realized she was probably right. I would've probably just stood in her way and we would've been late to the party, which was in less than thirty minutes.
"Okay, then... I'll wait for you downstairs, okay?" I asked.
"Yeah that's perfect! See you in a bit!" She said, while going back into the closet.

I took my purse, left the room and I headed down the stairs. Then I noticed Jungkook was coming upstairs. Our eyes met and he stopped in his tracks. His eyes went lower, scanning my dress. He was probably thinking how ridiculous I looked. I went a few steps down to be at his same level and talk to him or listen to what he had to say. Probably something bad, that would have helped the plan. But then I noticed he was actually dressed up too and I forgot all about the plan. He had a blue suit on with a matching tie and a white shirt. The outfit per se was simple, but it was about the way it fitted him. He looked breathtaking.

After a few seconds of me just stupidly staring at him, he cleared his throat, which made me snap back to reality.
"I was... I was actually coming up to see if you guys were ready..." He said, looking like he was trying to look elsewhere.
That's it? No making fun of me? How?! He always takes any chance he gets to tease me. I just gave him plenty of reasons.
"Oh, well, I'm ready, she just started... She asked me to wait for her downstairs..." Our interactions are always awkward if he's not making fun of me.
"Okay, then... I guess we can go downstairs..." He turned around and went downstairs. I followed him.

The living room was completely different from how it was the same morning. It was full of decorations and the walls emanated dimmed lights that changed colors to set the mood. I automatically went to sit on the same sofa I sat on that morning, while Jungkook remained standing.
"Your sister is really nice... You two don't even seem related..." I said smiling, to break the awkward silence.
"Yeah, she... she tends to be nice to everyone..." He answered seriously, ruining another opportunity to make a fun remark.
I didn't recognize him, he acts like this only when we are at work. So I decided that's what I would talk about.
"So... The other day Dr. Jung asked me this question and, I mean, I wasn't supposed to know the answer, he just wanted to see how I reasoned on it..."
I went on and told him the whole conversation with my mentor and finally he loosened up and sat on the sofa, listening carefully to what I was saying.

"Yeah, makes sense... I probably would've said the same thing, 'cause if we had that type of technology it would be much easier to create an algorithm that analyzes the results..." He concluded after hearing the whole discussion.
"Yeah, that's what I thought as well..."
"See, you're not that dumb after all..." He said, finally being back to teasing me.
I probably should've been upset by his remark, but I couldn't help smiling, seeing he was back to being himself.
In that moment, someone rang the bell of the house.

Jungkook stood up and went towards the hallway that led to the front door. After a few seconds I saw him come back with three giggling young girls.
"Lia didn't tell us her brother was gonna be here! Is also W.W.H. Jin here?" The girl in the short blue dress asked excited.
"I'm here to check on you guys... Our parents are out of town... And my brother, yeah, he must be here somewhere... He'll probably come and say hi at some point..." Jungkook answered with a charming smile which didn't even look like it was charming on purpose. He's charming without even trying and girls can't help being attracted to him. Unfortunately I'm one of them.

"We'll be good girls, we promise... Unless you want us to be bad..." The one with the red dress asserted and my eyes went wide. Luckily even her own friends realized that she had gone a bit too far and told her to stop while still giggling. Jungkook just smiled politely and then looked at me.
"Oh, let me introduce you to Luna... She is my partner for tonight... We are both your chaperones so if you girls need anything, it's better if you ask her, while I'll take care of the boys..." He said, pointing at me, while the girls gave me disappointed looks.
He was basically rejecting them. And here I thought I would've caught him flirting with them and be disgusted and finally stop having a crush on him. Maybe it's because they're minors, maybe he has some moral rules even in his serial dating.

"I'll go get Lia and tell her that her guests are arriving..." He then told the girls.
"Moon, can you get the door while I'm upstairs?" He asked me.
I nodded and he left to go upstairs.
The girls then came to sit next to me on the couch. I felt surrounded by judging eyes.
"Are you Jungkook's girlfriend?" The one with the red dress spoke again, with an inquiring tone.
What is it with people thinking I'm his girlfriend today?
I didn't have the time to answer because the one in the blue dress answered before me.
"No, of course not, he said they're just chaperone partners, not 'partners' partners... Plus, she doesn't look like the others..."
"Yeah, she's not his type..." The last girl added.

I was about to answer to those rude little girls that they were being inappropriate, but the bell rang again, saving me from more time with those three. While walking towards the door I kept wondering how Lia, who's such a nice girl, could be friends with them. But then I thought that maybe she didn't just invite her friends, but the whole senior year. And that thought was confirmed just seconds later.