XVI. Liquor

I opened the door of Jungkook's house and a bunch of guys and girls entered the house without even asking for permission. That's when I remembered why I didn't use to go to high school parties. Also because nobody invited me, but let's roll with the 'high schoolers are rude' reason.

The house began to be filled with a lot of chatter and laughter. I was going back into the living room to carry out my duties when I saw Jungkook coming down the stairs.
"Other guests?" He asked.
I nodded.
"Lia said she's gonna come down in a minute..." He added.
I nodded again.
"Is everything okay?" He asked, tilting his head as to take a better look at my expression.
"Yeah, sure... Let's go..." I said, trying to not make him notice that I was a bit upset.
Because just thinking about my high school days upsets me. It wasn't fun being around those kids who thought they were superhumans, but it also wasn't fun to not have friends and not being invited to any party. But of course I wasn't gonna tell Jungkook about this, so I just smiled and went back to the living room.

Some of the guests said hi to him, while I just went behind the counter of the mini-bar on one side of the room, trying to fade into the background as much as possible.
"I feel you... These things are boring as hell..." A voice came from nowhere.
I turned into the direction it was coming from and I saw Jin sitting beside me. I had no idea where he came from because I certainly didn't hear him arrive. And nobody else seemed to have noticed because otherwise they would've already been surrounding him. But his all-black casual outfit and the dim lights were probably helping him camouflage.

"Oh hi! It's... nice seeing you again..." I said awkwardly, but he didn't seem like someone who liked small talk, which is weird for an actor.
Or maybe, exactly because he had to do small talk for his job, he didn't like it in his private life.
"Uhmm, yeah... Not my type of scene..." I continued.
"You're probably gonna need some of this.." He said, laughing, while getting a bottle of liquor from below the counter.
My eyes went wide and I rapidly put the bottle back to where it was.
"Oh I... I don't think we should... You know... There's underage kids around... So, I don't think..." I stuttered, but he came closer to me and interrupted me.
"Trust me, you're gonna need it..." He whispered before leaving unnoticed.

"Was that my brother?" Jungkook's voice made me turn into his direction. He was leaning onto the counter with his elbows, looking into the hallway that Jin used as an escape route.
"Yeah, he... I don't think he's gonna stick around for the party..." I said.
"Oh yeah, no, he hates social gatherings... He has to do way too many of them for his job and when he's not working he likes to stay away from people as much as possible..." He explained.
I would've never imagined Jin as the solitary type. I was starting to like his vibe. And then I remembered Tae's words. 'If you get close to his family and they end up being nice people, my plan is not gonna work!'
Now I understood what he meant, so I tried to get my mind off of Jin and focused my attention back on Jungkook.

"Well, you, on the other hand, seem to be in your natural habitat..." I said, definitely not making it sound like a compliment.
"Well, first of all, thanks for comparing me to an animal..." He said with a fake smile, which I gladly returned.
"I mean, what do you want me to do? They are the guests and wanted to say hi, it's not like I enjoy it..."
I looked at him with a questioning expression, not believing the part about him not enjoying the 'fame'. But before we could continue the conversation, Lia entered the big room and everyone turned their heads. She looked stunning in her cute lilac tulle dress.

She went to say hi to all of her guests and then the music started and they all began to dance and have fun. The party had begun.
Jungkook and I were just sitting there, behind the counter, keeping an eye on the situation. It was as boring as Jin said, but I was doing it for Lia. Well, also for the sake of the plan, but on that side things weren't going as smoothly. I hadn't really caught Jungkook in any behaviour that would've made me set my mind on hating him. Even when those girls were trying to flirt with him in a very awkward way, he definitely didn't go along with it. I had to find something, anything that would've changed my mind and my feelings.
Then I remembered Jin's advice.

"Oh, look what's under here..." I said, pointing at the bottle of liquor under the counter.
Jungkook looked at me, confused.
"Moon, are you serious? We're supposed to be checking on minors and you wanna have a drink? This doesn't sound like you..." He really looked perplexed.
"I... Well, no... I would never..." I didn't imagine he was going to be this serious about the chaperoning. Or about anything for that matter. Getting closer to him was supposed to show me how much of a jerk he was, but apart from being a jerk to me on a daily basis, he was serious about his job and he was serious about his family.
"Your brother said... Well, he said I was gonna need it and... Nevermind... He would've understood my joke..." I tried to make clear that I wasn't really gonna drink on duty.
"Oh okay, you were joking... Sorry, you're just really bad at it..." He said laughing.
"Oh wow thanks!" I rolled my eyes, somehow coming out defeated yet again.
"And why did my brother tell you to drink?" He asked then.
"Well, he didn't tell me to drink, he just said that it was going to be so boring that I would've needed a bit of that..." I said pointing at the bottle of liquor.
"I mean, we could... have a shot after the party... I'm pretty bored as well..." He offered.
It sounded like a very bad idea and probably not very helpful to the plan, but thinking about it, Tae was right, nothing about that night was gonna be helpful to the plan. I had to admit I accepted to go only because he asked and I have a hard time telling him no. So I tried it.
"Mmmh, I don't think it's..." He stopped me before I could find a good reason to tell him no.
"Come on! We deserve it, after spending a Saturday night checking on a bunch of high schoolers..." He said with a smile, trying to convice me.

And I was about to give in and say yes when a male voice interrupted us.
"Sorry, are you a natural?"