XVII. Saying No

"Sorry, are you a natural?"
I turned around to see who that voice belonged to and also because they were clearly talking to me.
I saw a guy with a black suit, blonde hair and curious green eyes looking at me.
"Hyunjin, just go have fun... Don't bother her..." Jungkook talked before I could say anything.
"No, I didn't mean it like that, bro... I was just wondering... 'Cause she looks beautiful, but the glasses kinda threw me off..." He explained and I wanted to laugh.
He was actually in doubt if I was a natural or not. That was something that I had never experienced, that's for sure. Lia must have done a really good job with the makeover.
"It's still rude, man..." Jungkook answered, standing up, looking like he was about to lose his temper. Maybe he had some kind of history with the guy.
"Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you... I just wanted to ask you to dance with me..." The guy said to me.
"Uhm... It's fine... Well, I can't really... I'm not here to dance..." I answered, feeling a bit awkward about the situation, not knowing if I was supposed to be flattered or weirded out.
"Well, I think he's gonna do just fine without you..." He said with a cheeky smile, referring to Jungkook.
"Actually, no... She needs to be here... Sorry, man... I'm sure you'll find some other girl who wants to dance with you..." Jungkook intervened, with a challenging tone.
"Fine... I'll go ask Lia..." The guy said with a smirk, before leaving.

Jungkook sat back down, looking annoyed.
"Screw him!"
"You good? Do you have some kind of history with the guy?" I asked him.
"Not until now... He's just one of my sister's friends..." He explained while keeping an eye on the guy as he went up to Lia and danced with her.
"Then why were you so hostile?" I kept wondering what was bothering him.
"Well, he... he was being rude..." He said, clearing his throat.
"Maybe to me... Why do you care?" I insisted.
"I... I don't! I just don't like rude people..."

Obviously. Why would he care?

"He better not do anything stupid with Lia..." He continued.
"At least you care about your sister..." I said under my breath.
"What?" He asked.
"Nothing. Nevermind."
I decided to shut up and stay quiet for the whole night and luckily Jungkook did the same, probably still annoyed by the situation and focused on keeping an eye on his sister.
I texted Tea for a bit just to pass the time, but I only told him I was getting bored, I didn't mention other details, thinking that maybe I could tell him everything the next day.

It was around midnight when the guests started leaving reluctantly, because the parents or their drivers had come to pick them up. Luckily, during the night, nothing that required the intervention of the chaperones had happened, a part from someone asking where the bathroom was, some drinks spilled on the floor or things of the sort.
While Jungkook was walking the last guests to the door, I also took my purse and went to say bye to Lia.
"Hey, you had fun tonight?" I asked her.
"Oh yeah! A lot! Thank you so much for the help!" She said with a big smile.
"Oh no problem! I didn't do anything..."
"You must've gotten so bored! I'm sorry... But you could've danced with Hyunjin! I think he has a thing for you! He told me he asked you to dance, but my brother was being annoying... Was he the reason why you didn't dance with Hyunjin?" She asked, frowning.
"No no, I just... I thought it was a bit inappropriate... Given that I was supposed to be chaperoning and that he's also much younger..." I explained.
"Ooh, but he's already eighteen, nothing illegal..." She joked, while giggling.

"Are you talking about Hyunjin?" Jungkook was back.
"Yeah! He said you were rude to him! Just because he wanted to dance with Luna..." Lia answered to her brother.
"Oh that's funny! I wasn't the one being rude, Lia! He..."
I interrupted Jungkook.
"Guys, there's no need to discuss over this... Lia, don't worry, I still had fun watching you guys... Now I have to go home, thanks again for the dress..."
"What? You're not staying?" Jungkook asked, frowning.
"No, I... It's already late and I have to walk back home, so..." I tried to explain. I also had already texted my parents that I was going to be back around midnight.
"But what about our shots?" He insisted and I really didn't understand why he was so keen to keep spending time with me. Maybe he still hadn't had his dose of making fun of me.
"But if you drink you can't drive her home, Bunny! Oh, maybe you can stay the night! We have a guest bedroom!" Lia offered.
"What?! No no, there's no need, really... I'll just walk home, don't worry..." I tried to refuse.
"Please..." Jungkook's voice was so tiny I barely heard it. It looked like he really wanted me to stay, for some reason.
It was really hard to say no to him and I hated it. I also knew it was a bad idea, but I just couldn't help it. Not even him saying he doesn't care about me made me understand that I should stay away from him. I'm just a different kind of stupid.

"I just don't want to bother..."
"Why would you bother?! Our parents are not even here, it's just us! And apparently Bunny would be very happy if you stayed..." Lia said to convince me even though I was already going to say yes. But what she said surprised me.
"I never said that!" Jungkook obviously countered.
"You didn't need to say it, it's all over your face..." Lia insisted and I looked at him, hoping to see what she was seeing. But it was either I was blind or she was seeing things.
"Okay, enough... Don't you have anywhere else to go?" He grabbed her shoulders and tried to get her to leave.
"Okay, fine... I'll go change my clothes, in the mean time you guys have your drinks... Luna, I'll leave a pajama set in the guest room... If it gets late and I'm already sleeping, you can show her the room, right Bunny?" She said before her brother could push her all the way to the stairs.
"Yes yes, just go..." He dismissed her rapidly.
She waved her hand to me before disappearing into the stairs. I waved back.

"Why did you do that?" I asked him, alluding to the fact that he had just kicked his sister away.
"She talks too much..." He said, while walking back to the counter that was now all too familiar to me and taking that infamous bottle of liquor.
"Follow me..." He said then.
I followed him in a second hallway that I still hadn't walked down, up until that moment. It led to an all-white kitchen with a dining table in the middle of the room.
"You can sit here..." He said, leaving the bottle on the table and then walking towards one of the cabinets.
While he took out two glasses, I sat on one of the chairs and thought about how crazy the whole situation was. I would've never imagined I was going to be sitting in Jungkook's house, having a drink with him. I was just hoping it wasn't gonna compromise the plan and its goal. I had to remember that I was getting closer to him only to stop liking him.
I had to stay focused. Even though it was difficult when your all-time crush was sitting in front of you, pouring you a glass of whiskey.