Task 5: "Power of Gods"

Rex Tyree - God Vulcan, God of Fire and Blacksmiths

The moment my eyes dart open, buildings and ruins are collapsing around me. I get on my feet without hesitation, grab my bag and weapon and try to get the hell out of here. As well as collapsing, features of the Arena are disappearing around me. I have to keep looking everywhere both for rocks, ruins falling above my head, and keep a lookout for the Careers that I know are out here somewhere. I can't run that far due to the wound in my thigh, but it's healed enough for me to look for shelter which I ultimately find and hide underneath some rubbles as I watch everything just...disappear.

I'm on my own now. After the special task in the Colosseum, I took off the with equipment I was given after I won my fight. We're down to the final twelve. As much as eight Careers chasing me on my own can be too much to handle, I can't be in the alliance anymore. I've felt connected to my allies. I've lost one after the other and this pressure inside my chest has been building up since I first agreed to be in an alliance. The voices inside my head in the Colosseum proved that. They've been at a distance since then. I managed to find a spot to treat my wounds while staring at the sky, looking for the cannons appearing. My male companion from 12 was one of them.

I take a few steps out of the hiding-spot as I see that there's barely anything left out here. All of the magnificent ruins that were standing so upright and majestic, representing what used to be an entire empire is all gone. It's all been reduced to rubbles and dust, or just dust as the only thing sticking remarkably high in this landscape is the Cornucopia. Either the Gamemaker has a plan with this or someone is tampering with the Arena's landscape. Whatever it is, I don't care. It's none of my business. My only business right now is surviving.

There is no sign of movement. It's really quiet, almost too quiet I think to myself. I can see the entire landscape even with the darkness coming down over us. People must be interested in some proper rest after that fight in the Colosseum. I haven't heard any cannons since then. Maybe I was hoping to have cut down on the competition with all the rubbles coming down over us, but at the same time I'm not surprised that everybody survived it. Those that are left are more than capable of taking care of themselves. I make the decision to stay in these rubbles that I've taken shelter in. This has to be one of the few left in the Arena so I can at least take advantage of it even though I might not sleep.

I put my things on the ground and I suddenly catch sight of metal lying around me. Recognizing the kind of metal it is, it doesn't really fit in here. I mean, it looks like industrial metal that we use back home, but it doesn't really fit in with this scenery. As I move them to the side a little bit, I notice something else: a hammer, a blacksmith's hammer. I recognize it right way as it's a common work-tool back in our district considering we're working with rails and trains and stuff.

I reach out to grab the hammer. The moment I put my hand around its handle, something rushes through my body. I hold on as I continue to feel a rush going through my body somewhat making me feel stronger, more solid than before. My thigh seems to heals with it as I look at my hands and this red heat is visible from underneath my skin. Looking down on my hand grabbing the hammer, I notice that it's coming from there. As I lean against the metal-scraps lying around me, I notice that I melt right through. My hands are melting all the metal that I touch. What is going on?

"Tributes, you have been given the powers of a Roman God or Goddess. Each of you will one way or the other, feel a rush of powers entering your bodies." A voice covering the Arena says as I step out slightly from my hiding to see everybody's names up there, with some kind of God or Goddess underneath.