Task 1: "Rise of an Empire"

"Dad, we can't let you do that. You have given us all so much, and taught us well. It should be one of us to go." My older brother Aspen says. My father has been intent on going to the Games himself in order to keep the three of us, and the future of the family, safe. My older brother isn't having that. Aspen is the only one of us that my father will listen to. Leaf is a quiet one, and my father and I don't really see much eye to eye. That's why I keep fiddling with the envelope in my hand – the one they gave us to write down the name of our chosen tribute.

With every year that has passed by, the Gamemakers of the Capitol have tried to think of new and extraordinary twists to keep renewing the Games. You'd think that with over 300 versions, they'd run out of ideas. Apparently they haven't because they keep coming up with something. This year, they reaped families. One of the families reaped this year of course, happened to ours. Now, we have to decide which one of us that will go to the Games. This is the first hurdle of the Games. Despite of the fact that the actual Games are still ahead, most people would say this is the hardest part.

They gave us an envelope with a piece of paper inside. We have to write down the name of the person we are sending to represent District 7. I keep looking at it while I spin it in between my fingers. I don't really say much as I listen to my father and older brother Aspen discuss why it shouldn't be our father that goes. I could think of reasons for that too. He has an amputated leg that would only get in the way of his chances. My father probably isn't expecting to win, but at least he wouldn't have to live with one of us dying.

"I've lived a long life, boys. You are all young, and with a long life ahead as long as these Games don't change too much. I won't sit by and watch any one of you in those Games while I'm here, helpless to save you." Father goes on. I understand his argument. I think that's the worst part of it, it's too good of an argument. He just doesn't stand a chance. Most of the competition is going to be young and stronger. "Dad, you don't stand a chance. I am the better option. I am young, strong and fast." Aspen goes on. My father shakes his head, refusing to accept that argument.

Maybe I should go. I am the odd boy out of the three of us. Leaf and Aspen are both lumberjacks. They walk to and from work alongside our father. They are both part of his everyday routine while I'm not. I'm the odd one out. I'm the splinter you could say because I haven't gone the obvious way with my career-choice. My father and I barely share eye contact during the day. I thought it was just a phase at first, but it's been going on for the last couple of years and it's been getting to me more than I realized.

"Listen, dad, I'm not going to let my old man, or my two youngest brothers go to those Games." Aspen says after a while of silence. I finally look over at him. My brother Aspen, the most honorable of the three of us. Aspen is right about one thing, he is the strongest of the three of us. He probably could survive a one-on-one against younger and stronger tributes, but he's not the fastest. He's laying it on thick in order to make his argument come across. He's not the fastest and he's not the smartest. Not paying attention to the smaller things is going to be bad for him when the actual Games begin.

"Strength isn't everything. You need to be light on your feet. Having spent so many years in the industry has made you more muscular and heavier than you used to be." My brother Leaf says. He doesn't always speak up when Aspen and my father have their discussions, but this is not just any discussion. This is about going to the Hunger Games. Leaf depends on Aspen more than I do. "I'm fast and agile, and I still have the strength that you have. I can make it. I know I can." Leaf goes on. Aspen refuses to let this go.

"No, I can't let you or Ax do this while I sit here in District 7 and watch one of you fight your life." I look over at my mother who looks down on her hands again. She hasn't taken much part in this discussion. She knows better than to interrupt us boys when we have serious discussions with our father. I just know that she will be more than broken for whomever that goes, because chances are that the person leaving won't be coming back. "Whoever goes into those Games will missed..."

Her voice almost cuts through us like a knife. The tone of her voice really puts into perspective what's really happening here. We are discussing which person to send through the fire of the Capitol. We are pretty much trying to prioritize which life has the greater chance to survive, while also discussing that it is the one life that's worth risking for the sake of the others. My brother Aspen deems his life the one worth risking for mine, Leaf's and our father's.

"If the right person goes into those Games, he might come back..." I finally speak up. My father hardly recognizes that I have spoken. "We are never going to agree who should go, and who shouldn't." I let out, looking at the envelope. As I say that, I know there is some kind of agreement that my brother Aspen should go. My father doesn't say anything against it anymore, and Leaf and I usually don't argue any further. We are not going to get our arguments across now. Aspen's mind is full on set to participate in Hunger Games.

What he doesn't know, is that I have already given up my own name in the envelope.