Task 5: "The Girl With The Black Ribbon"

About the task: In this task, originally titled "Phase 2", we were to face and fight a deceased from the Games. It could be a previous ally that died, or an enemy that I killed earlier in the Games (in addition to two tributes still in the Games). The task had to be inspired by a song that was chosen by the Gamemaker, for each of the tributes (we did not have the same song). My song was: "Welcome To The Black Parade" by My Chemical Romance. 

I can hardly recall what happens from the moment Jem finds me, to the point where I end up here. All I know I know is that I'm here and that I'm alive. Jem died just seconds after he found me. I don't know by who or how, but I got out of there by doing what I do best – run. I found a room further down the hall and closed the door. When I turned around, the environment around me suddenly changed completely. I don't know how it did because what I'm seeing around me now is nothing like the rest of the theatre.

I recognize the descriptions of some sort of war-zone, but with a sense that a war has been lost or something. I don't know. It's all black and white, even I am when I look down on myself. I see small pits of fires and smoke dominating the air above me. When I look up, it almost seems as though it's just the smoke, but it's actually clouds and I see white flakes fall down and land on my hand when I put it out.

What is this? Where am I? What is the Gamemaker up to now? I don't know what to make of the sudden environment that's surrounding me. Faintly, in the distance, I hear the sound of drums. I don't know why, but for some reason they intimidate me. I don't know what they mean or why they're even here, but they are coming closer.

"I should never have come back for you..." I suddenly hear to my right as I turn around. J-Jem? H-He died! I mean, I don't know how or by who, but it happened! I saw it right in front of my naked eyes. I heard the cannon. H-How is he standing in front of me like this, covered in his own blood? "You were cowering away in that room, waiting for some of us to come and find you, and I did because we were partners. That meant me having your back and you having mine. Seconds later I get killed...I should never have gone back to find you..." He goes on.

I sense this lump in my throat as I struggle against the tears. He's right. It was my fault. The guilt is hitting me out of nowhere like the drumsticks hitting those drums that keep coming closer in the background. "You're a coward. It says in your name...Shadow. You hide in the shadows instead of just facing things and dangers straight on. Sure, that's how I got killed, but if you hadn't been a coward in the first place, I wouldn't have had to..."

My heart is pounding in my chest. I can see he's fueled with anger and that's not good when I know that he is...was probably the strongest tribute of all of us. He's ripped in muscles and he's much, much taller than me. I don't stand a chance physically. He's going to attack me at some point and by then I won't stand a chance. "I-I never a-asked y-you to..." I barely manage to let out. He doesn't respond. He's already on the move to get to me. Without even noticing, he's been taking small steps towards me and by the time he started to make his intentions brutally clear, I have no chance to shoot him with my arrows.

He places his fists around my throat. I hold onto his arms as he lifts me up from the ground and I'm struggling to keep breathing. I feel the strain on my neck and I start to feel like this isn't going to last for long. "That's bullshit and you know it..." Jem answers as he squeezes even tighter. I barely look down to see the anger fill his eyes. I'm suffocating. Each breath I get from here on is a gift. I feel like my eyes are rolling to the back of my skull after my vision has turned blurrier and blurrier.