Audition-task

Oh sweet Friday night and fresh air. There's nothing better to do on a Friday night than to enjoy the fresh, humid weather in the early night hours while morons are chasing me through the streets. It's what I like to do, a little eavesdropping or 'shopping' here and there. I never figure out the hiding spot or the best route to be so they always find me. It takes longer now though. I'm getting better.

They're not really in the best of shapes to chase me though. They never learn. I don't need a getaway car. I use the cars as stepping-stones, I slide over the hoods to cut the corners. You know, frankly this is turning a bit embarrassing for them. A 17-year-old girl is outrunning them. I guess it's a part of the thrill. The rush, the adrenaline coursing through my veins...it's all about making them look stupider than they already are.

"Get back here!" They call out behind me. A weak smile crosses my face as I make a right turn into a dead-end. I run towards the fire escape, grab the ladder and pull myself up high enough before I get outside of the railing, and jump down on top of the brick-wall separating this alley from the other side. My chasers are just coming around the corner when they spot me.

I smile weakly, and give them a soldier-like salute. "Sorry guys, you're just not fast enough." I take a half-step backward and jump down on the other side. They are all a bunch of quitters. Tonight is no different. It's not like they're going to bother climb the wall when I'll be gone in pretty much a flash.

My phone is buzzing and I immediately pick up. "Yo, Rae, did you get it? The object and the run?" I like to do favors for people every now and then. I get the rush and the cash. It's a win-win. "Yeah, yeah, I got your little toy. That's not the hero of the story though. This run? Oh my God, it has to have been one of the best in a long time." I say loudly as I keep walking down the street. "You are going to love this story when we meet up."

I hang up the phone before I get another call. "Yo, Rae, you still up for the thing later?" I look at the time. Friday night is still very young. "Of course I am. Have I ever backed down from a challenge?" I ask as I get a new notification. People are on to me tonight!. "I got somebody bugging me. I'll see you later." I say as I navigate through my phone to reveal a new text-message.

Well, can't say I was expecting this:

"Meet me at the carnival grounds in one hour. If you don't show up, because you're going to be daring and run around instead, I'll just tell the whole school your deep, deep secret. –Jess xx"

As if she would even know. We haven't shared two words with each other.

"Nice try. I got plans."

I put the phone in my pocket and start running towards my meet-up point. I have more parkour-adventures to venture on tonight and I'm not going to let blondie miss Jess dictate how I spend my night.

"So I guess you don't mind me telling the whole school that you've been staying with 8 other foster-families, and that they all gave up on you because of your extracurricular activities, before you arrived at Brimley? I'm sure people will change their minds about you if they knew..."

I stop and look at the text for a moment. My thumb runs down the edge of my phone as I try to figure out the possible game she's trying to play on me. I grit my teeth slightly as the various memories come back to me. The memories where people learned of me being a foster-kid and turned their cold shoulders to me. In every other school, it's made me an outcast...even the outcast of the outcast.

It has taught me some valuable lessons for sure. I know what it's like to be on the outside. I've grown accustomed to the person I am here in Brimley. I like the life I have, the picture that people have of me. I like the family I have here. They have managed to keep up with me for so long. I can't let a spoiled rich kid mess that up. I mean, I'm not bad off myself in terms of wealth, but at least I've got integrity.

"How do you even know anything about me?"

Let's be honest. She can be bluffing just to lure me out for some scheme. I only know her by name. She only knows me by name. We have never really crossed paths because of how we despise each other. We've silently agreed to stay clear of each other, which up till this point has worked out just fine for the both of us. Now, she wants my attention...and she's got it.

"I have eyes and ears everywhere, Rae. I could of course be lying. I guess the question is: would you risk it?"

I lock the screen on my phone. One of my running-buddies is calling me but I ignore it. Apparently, there's another challenge that I have to take care of first...