Peer Presure

~Mary Jay~

After that brief altercation, I turned my head to see the warden in his chair.

For once, his head wasn't shiny. He actually had a good bit of hair atop his head that was gelled to the right slightly. He had subtle facial hair; he wasn't that bad. The only thing I was confused about was why everyone was afraid of him. He looked strong but not intimidating. I guess I shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

After lifting his head and spotting me, his expression changed drastically, "Hello there, a new face finally. Come in, have a seat."

I was slightly taken aback by his kindness, but sat down nonetheless.

"Hello.."

"Coach Davis, Mr. Davis, it's all the same." He waved off.

"Davis, got it."

"I'm assuming you're Mary?"

"Mary Jay. I go by my first and middle." I corrected.

"Well, that's a new one. I've heard Pop for Jamie, Loli for Olivia, but Mary Jay. That's refreshing."

I nodded as if I had any idea where he was going with this.

"Anywho, we're obviously not here to discuss nicknames. You need to pick your electives and we have to go over a few other things."

"And those things are?"

"History, behavior, things of such." My eyes darted a little before landing back on him.

"History?"

"Like records, school and criminal. This is a school for troubled teens."

"I knew that. I suppose we should start then."

He shuffled through some files behind him before landing of one and flipping through it.

"You've got quite the record on you. 8 fights last year, and 1 case of arson. Should I be worried?" Well damn, they sure do a hell of a background check.

"No. Not for arson. That was an accident.."

That was indeed true. I crashed a motorcycle which resulted in a fire. I guess it didn't help my case seeing as I had a lighter in my pocket as well.

"And the fighting?" He pushed.

"I'm no saint."

"As expected, I'm no judge. But I am a warden and I have to look after those kinds of things. You've been labeled as red rank, It's my job."

Stupid damn ranks.

"I know. I also understand that this is the last resort for my family, so i'm willing to dial it down."

"Good to hear. I trust you will act on your word. Don't disappoint."

I nodded slowly in response.

"Because of your records though, one of your electives has to be behavioral health. All rank reds have to take it."

I don't need no damn behavior class. I know how to act.

"Is that really necessary?"

"Indeed it is, I've done it for every other rank red, you're no exception." He stated sternly.

I sighed yet complained no more. It was obvious there was no changing it. "Alright."

"Good, now you have one more elective you can choose. We have theatre, piano, guitar, dance, ban-"

"I'll take dance."

I've never been one to enjoy sports. I enjoyed watching it, sure, but playing? Never been my strong suit. Dancing on the other hand was beautiful to me. It was like releasing emotion into movement. Okay, that was really cliche and deep, but seriously, dance intrigued me.