Pool Tables and Spilled Tea

~Mary Jay~

"So, what do you have planned for today?" I question as we walk in sync down the girls' hallway.

"There's a small place just down the street where most kids go to hang on Sunday's." Jax answered, nervously shoving his hands in his pockets.

If I were actually interested in Jax, I would've found that adorable.

"Sunday's? What's so special about Sunday's?" I ask. No one had ever mentioned we were free on Sunday's, although I did notice fewer people on campus on these days.

"Ahh, so no ones told you yet. Our old warden used to be super religious. I mean like, Jesus worshiper deluxe. He had crosses all around the schools hoping to 'pray the bad away.' Of course, that didn't work." He explained while I listened, hoping he would get to the point.

He shook his head, noticing his rambling, "Anyways, uh- you know most Christians believe Sunday's are no-work days and whatnot. When he got fired, the tradition just kind of carried on. All the crosses and stuff were taken down though."

I scoffed, "Well, obviously. People have different religions and all, it's no surprise."

We slowed down slightly as we reached the staircase.

"True. I think it honestly made the school better when it was all teared down. Some of it still kind of lingers but Christianity isn't forced anymore." He shrugged as we neared the from office.

"That's good. People are gonna believe in what they want to." I formed a tight-lipped smile as we reached the front office where Mrs. Harp say behind the desk.

Jax looked at me awkwardly before clearing his throat. "Mrs. Harp.." He mumbled.

I made a furrow between my brows in confusion as to why he sounded so timid.

"Why aren't you.." My words trailed off as I know he was aware of what I was asking.

His eyes darted to the floor and I narrowed my eyes before wavering him off.

"Mrs. Harp! You're back!" I enthused.

Mrs. Harp spun around in her chair, "Mary Jay is that you, dear? Oh and . . Jax."

Her expression faltered slightly as she looked at him. The tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife.

"Uhh- yeah. We're here to check out for the evening. Just to the place across the street." I spoke, looking back and forth between the pair.

Mrs. Harp tore her eyes away from Jax and back to me. Her smile returned, "Of course, dear. I do have to remind you kids that curfew is 10:30, be back before then."

"Will do, thank you so much. I hope you enjoyed your break." I smiled warmly.

"Oh, it was wonderful! My granddaughter and I went-"

Her words were cut short as Jax cleared his throat again.

I looked back at him again as he met my eyes.

Rude.

I exhaled and closed my eyes for a moment, fixing my expression.

"That's great, Mrs. Harp. We'll be heading out now, thank you again."

And with that, Jax and I walked out the building as the small alarm went off, signaling the doors were being opened.

I looked behind us once before speaking, "What the hell was that?"

"What do you mean?" He didn't look up.

"You may be blonde, but you're not dumb. Why were you being so awkward back there?" I pushed.