Boys Are Confusing

~Mary Jay~

This was gonna be a hoot.

I took a deep breath before picking up my bag and sitting next to Mateo. He didn't even bother to look my way as I sat.

"Good." Mrs. Rivera smiled softly as me as if telepathically wishing me luck. I got her message.

"We'll be going over some of our grounding exercises in partners. You can pick and exercise and go over the steps with each other. Afterwards, we'll regroup."

It didn't take long for students to begin talking amongst each other.

Mateo and I on the other hand sat in awkward silence for a few minutes before I got bored of it and spoke.

"So, did you actually wanna speak or are we just gonna sit here like tweetle dee and tweetle dumb?"

He turned his head only to look at me before huffing and turning towards me and smiling abnormally.

"Sure. What's would you like to go over first!" Sarcasm dripped off his words.

"Cool. No need to be a sour grape." I jerked my head back in annoyance.

His 'smile' fell and he rolled his eyes before licking his lips and looking away.

"No sarcastic remark? Boringgg.." I dragged my last word out while raising my hand and examining my nails.

"I'm not in the mood today." He shook his head, looking straight forward.

"Are you ever?" I furrowed my brows as I continued examining my nails. I really needed a manicure.

When he didn't respond, I sat upright in my chair and slapped my hands on my thighs.

"Alright."

He looked at me with an unreadable expression, "What?"

"You're obviously in some kinda slump and it's killing my mood. So, out with it." I stated as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

He narrowed his eyes, "It's none of your business. I don't even know you."

Silence fell over us once again for about a minute.

I sighed before speaking again, "I'm MJ, I have a sister and I'm 17. I want a dog when I get older, preferably a pug. Now you know me, so out with it." I said in one breath.

He blinked at me a few times with a blank expression before darting his eyes away. He looked as if he was having a mental debate before opening his mouth.

For a second, I believed he was finally gonna say something slightly civil. That sliver of hope was taken away just as his next words escaped,

"Don't worry about it," He narrowed his eyes at me.

Call a code purple.

My face contorted into a scowl, "As if you know anything about respect. I don't even know why I made an effort, it's obvious you're just an asshole."

"Cool."

I rolled my eyes at him before standing up and getting ready to find another group. That was until a voice sounded,

"What are you doing?"

I spun around to see Mateo looking at me genuinely confused.

"To find another partner, where else?"

He rolled his eyes, "Sit down, you're being dramatic."

Who the hell is he talking to?

"You're being stubborn. Now that we're done stating the obvious, I'm gone." I took another step.