One Day at a Time

*Picture above is kind of how I imagined Mateo but feel free to use your own imagination*

~Mary Jay~

"Papers. In the basket. If you don't have a paper, kiss your good grades goodbye. Not that many of you have them." Mr. Hendrix announced as he wiped down the board.

"What if we-"

"No. Whatever your question is, no." He cut off a boy who sat near the back, closer to the door.

I hate this class.

As much as I didn't want to, I'd worked on my paper during my breaks and the outcome was pretty decent. I like to think I'm Gordon Ramsey with a pencil.

I groaned as I lifted my bag off the floor before shuffling through it for my paper.

...

It's not there.

Say what?

Nope. Not there.

A slight panic fell over me before I thought back to last night. After I got to my dorm past curfew, I was too tired and forgot to put my paper in my bag. So now, it lies on my bedside desk all alone.

I really needed to think of something. Mr. Hendrix was not the type to give pity even if I was somewhat new.

What the hell am I gonna do?"

...

Feya.

Feya had stayed in our dorm the whole day.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out my phone before picking up my bag and hiding my hands.

"Can you meet me in the bathroom downstairs with my paper pretty please? I forgot it and I have Mr. Hendrix!!!- Mary Jay."

I looked up to see Mr. Hendrix watching something on his laptop. I looked back down at my phone eagerly.

I waited a few seconds before her message came in,

"I got you :)- Fey"

Bingo.

I sighed in relief before dropping my phone back into my pocket and placing my bag back on the floor. I raised my hand quickly.

"Yes, Ms. Everette?" He lowered his glasses.

"Can I use the restroom, please?"

"It's may I use the restroom."

"If I meant 'may I,' I would've said it." My eyes darted before landing back on him and I rose my eyebrows, "So can I?"

He let out a sigh, "Be quick please."

"No promises." I clarified before grabbing the hall pass and walking out.

I'm a literal genius.

I walked down the hallways slowly in spite of Mr. Hendrix. He reminds me of a more professional Josh and I hate Josh, therefore, Mr. Hendrix has made his mark on my shit-list. There's quite a few people on there and by few, I mean my entire old school.

I really hate that place.

"Skipping class, Mary Jay? Tsk tsk."

On second thought, I think I hate this place more.

"Oh, cap it, Easton."

Mateo stood against the wall with his phone in one hand and a lollipop in his mouth.

"You're so rude, Mary. Always crushing my spirits." He shook his head dramatically.