Crush

~Mary Jay~

He opened the car door for me, which seemed routined now. We walked inside the building where I was taken aback by the scene. There were no ceiling lights but there were rainbow led's flashing. There were 2 windows which brought in natural light.

Music played from unseen speakers and there were employees standing in the front, assisting people.

"Easton, what is this?" I looked up at him by my side.

"You'll see when we go inside. Get your wristband." He urged me to the counter.

A ginger boy stood behind it, "Hi, before we get started, have you guys completed the waiver?"

Mateo said nothing but showed his phone screen to the boy. He nodded and continued, "Awesome, so what are you guys looking to do today?"

"Everything." Easton said.

"Alright, two adults with the all-round package. That'll be 75.99."

I'm still 17 but alright I guess.

Wait, HUH?

My eyes widened in shock at the prices. I whispered to Easton. "I didn't bring that much money, I only have-"

"Shut up." He proceeded to pull out his card and hand it over.

I thought we wouldn't be spending anything over $30. Now I feel bad. And poor.

Screw you you rich, thoughtful, prick.

The boy put his card in the machine before handing it back, "Great. wrist please! Would you like a receipt?"

I looked confusedly between the two before holding my wrist out. He clamped it on both of us and Easton answered, "No, thanks."

"Have fun! Don't get hurt, we are not responsible!" He exclaimed and Easton mumbled another thanks before guiding us both beyond the entrance.

Antisocial freak.

Once inside, it was much darker but the lights from the multiple game machines lit up the room.

"What in heavens nam- YOU BROUGHT ME TO AN ARCADE?!" I almost jumped in excitement.

I hadn't been to an arcade since my dad died. He was the last person to take me to one; my mother couldn't be bothered and Aunt Apple never had the money to do so. It was a special experience that I had pushed to the back of my memories.

"Plus laser tag, skating, and go-karts. Is it too much? We can do something else if you're not up for it." He scratched the back of his hair anxiously.

"I mean, you could've ordered an empty venue so there were no kids. ."

He deadpanned and looked around the scene.

I laughed and pushed his chest playfully, "I'm kidding, it's great. Thank you. Seriously."

He looked down at me, making eye contact. I hadn't had my interests cared for this much in so long. Nobody ever made me feel this excited, especially about a stupid pac-man machine.

He tried to smile, genuinely this time. Even though it was only a half one, it made butterflies erupt in stomach.

So, I rolled my eyes. I'm still not a sentimental person.

"Cmon, I wanna roller-skate!" I pulled his arm along to the counter where we needed to rent skates.

"Do you even know how to?"

I shrugged as we waited side by side for the lady to come, "Sure. It's been a while but it can't be that hard."

He raised his eyebrows, "If you fall, I'm pretending like I don't know you."