Caught Red Handed

As I stood up, I hear the straining of a string as its pulled back, and footsteps slowly make their way behind me. I raised my hands in the air, but I had no intention of surrendering. That'd be a death sentence. I'll wait for them to get closer before making a move, or else I'll just get shot.

"Put them hands behind your head."

It was a man. He sounded young.
He stopped moving towards me, leaving a bit of distance between us and ruining my attack plan. With no other option, I complied.
I hear him drag something away from me with his boot. My bag. Fine by me. He's not gonna find anything inside except dog food, a lighter, and... uh oh.

"Hey, dont touch my shit!"

He found that funny.

"From where I'm standing, looks like you were doing just that."

He shuffles the bag around with his feet.

"Doesnt seem like you've had much luck though."

His tone of voice confused me. Apart from the bow pointed at my head, he doesn't seem like he's trying to be threatning. Just assertive. From the amount of bowls I saw outside, even if I do manage to take this guy out, I'll have a whole bunch of others waiting for me in the courtyard. So, I guess the plan is to just play innocent and friendly.

"I wouldn't be here unless I was desperate."

He stands behind me in silence, probably trying to make up his mind if he wants to shoot me or not.

"Aint we all. And how exactly did you find this place?"

"I just stumbled upon it. Honest."

Theres more silence, and he takes a step back, dragging my bag with him.

"And you're group?" He asks

"I dont have one."

He strains the string back further, making me wince as I waited for him to shoot. He doesnt.

"Get up, but keep those hands where they are."

I do as he says, not making any sudden moves.

"Now turn around."

I spun around on the spot to face him, and my guess was correct. He looked around my age, and my height. He didn't look angry or pissed, but he wasn't exactly giving me a welcoming smile. He looked serious and focused.

"A kid like you out on your own? Dont buy it. Everyones got a group."

A kid like you? The hell is that supposed to mean?

"Not me." I tell him. "Look, just let me go, and you'll never see me again. I was already planning on leaving this damn forest. Save yourself the bother of cleaning up a mess, and I'll keep my thieving hands to myself, okay?"

He didn't look so sure, but I could tell his hands weren't as tense and ready to fire as they were before.

"I'm not sure you're in the position to make demands. You're lucky I didn't just let an arrow fly when I saw you."

"Not a demand. Just a proposal."

He actually looked like he was considering it, much to my surprise. I've only been caught stealing a few times, but I always managed to run off before they could do anything. I guess I'm lucky that the first person to catch me off guard like this didn't kill me straight away.

"Its a long walk out of here if you dont know were you're going." He says. "You need a place to stay?"

Im hit with another surprise as he lowers his bow and gives me a friendly smile.

"Are... you offering?"

He puts his bow onto his back and puts the arrow into its quiver, then takes a step forward, putting out his hand.

"I'm Marlon."

I was cautious of his sudden change of heart, but as far as I could tell, it wasn't a trick. So, I returned the friendly gesture by shaking his hand.

"(Y/n)."

He smiles and nods, letting go of my hand.

"Well, (Y/n), I'll let this act of thievery slide, and to show that theres no bad blood between us, I'll help you find your way out."

It all sounded too good to be true. Usually I'd expect a knife to the back, but I suppose he could've done that when I was on my knees. He seems legit, and with the lack of supplies and navigation skills, I kinda need his help.

"I appreciate it. Are we going now or...?"

He shakes his head, walking towards the door.

"We'll wait till morning. Wont be long before it gets dark, and I'd rather not go out at night. Besides, you look like you could use something to eat."

He wasn't wrong. I've been kinda starving myself, trying to save food for when I need it. Hopefully these guys have something to eat other than things in tins and pet food.

"C'mon, follow me." Marlon says, leaving through the door.