The Residents of Ericson's Pt. III

Now for the other six.

The next two is a kid who looks younger than the rest, but older than Tenn, and the other guy looks around my age, maybe a year older.

As I'm walking towards them, their conversation finishes and the kid runs inside, not noticing I was there.

Guess I'll just have to wait till I see him again later. I still have this guy to talk to though.

"Hey, I'm (Y/n)." I approach the other guy.

He raises an eyebrow, looking me up and down.

"Why are you here?"

"Just staying the night, then I'll be gone." I tell him.

"Marlon know you're here?"

"He's the one who found me. The one who offered."

"Well, if you're ok with Marlon, you're ok with me." He says. "I'm Mitch"

"Good to meet you, Mitch."

He nods.

"You must all trust Marlon a lot then, huh?" I ask.

He smiles

"We do. He's been leading us for a while now. We were against it at first. Didn't listen to him. But he proved himself a good leader. Sure, a couple of us have died, but it was never his fault. He tries his best to keep us all safe. Thats what a good leader does."

"Most groups out there aren't as lucky as you guys. Most leaders would sacrifice others to save themself. Hell, some of them kill their own for fun."

"Is it really that bad out there?" He asks. "I knew there'd be some wack-jobs, but I expected people to band together and try to rebuild."

"So did I. But most of those who would, are either dead, or hiding from the "wack-jobs". There are some out there though. Taking back cities from raiders, building a community, helping people."

"So why not join up with them? It'd be safer than wandering on your own."

"I dont know, never could trust anyone out there. People can be decieving, acting a certain way when they're actually the opposite. Too many leaders doing good, then turning bad, ruining the lives of their followers. Eventually, they become the thing they were fighting against."

"But you trust Marlon?" He asks.

"Well, I got a good feeling about him. About this place."

He nods.

"So how long will you stay for?"

"Should just be for tonight, then make my way out of here."

"And just go back to wandering? Doesnt it get lonely?"

"Wandering is all I've ever known. Its what I'm used to."

"I don't think I could leave this. These walls keep us safe. We always have the gaurantee of a warm bed to sleep in, and warm food to eat. And these guys are like family. I couldnt leave them." He says.

"It does sound nice."

"You should think about staying. You seem like a cool guy, it'd be good to have you around." He says.

"Thanks. I'll think about it." I tell him, giving him a nod goodbye.

Joey always told me to keep moving, to never stop, because the walkers sure as hell won't. Should I still listen to him though? Even after all the stuff he did, did he really care about me?

I push the thought out of my head. It was two years ago. I should just get over it already.

I only have to introduce myself to the last two now.
One of them I already know the name of from Brody and Ruby. Louis. Then theres the other guy, who seems to still be cooking.
Louis smiles as I approach them.

"Well well well, look who finally made his way to us. Saving the best for last?"

"Louis, right? From what I hear you're quite a talker. Just making sure I introduce myself to the others before you take up the rest of my time." I tell him

"Should've steered clear." The other guy says, still tending to the food. "I'm Omar"

"(Y/n)."

"Well, welcome to our happy little family (Y/n). Hopefully a new face will help lift everyones spirit." Louis says. "Except for Omar here. He'll probably complain about having another mouth to feed."

"We're barely finding enough for the ten of us." He says, then turns to me. "Not that I don't want you here."

"I understand. Foods always a problem these days."

"It'd be less of one if some people started helping out more." He says, eyeing Louis.

Louis puts his hands up in defense

"Hey, I do all I can. Besides, I'm heading out tomorrow to get you more rabbits to cook, so be grateful."

"I'm tempted to spit in your food." Omar rolls his eyes.

"You see the thanks I get around here?" Louis shakes his head.

"Hey don't drag me into this. I only got here."

"Oh, about that, I didn't know Marlon was bringing a plus one tonight so your portion may be a little small. Sorry." Omar apologizes.

"Don't be. I can't begin to describe how excited I am for a warm meal." I tell him.

Omar smiles.

My nostrils are invaded with an amazing smell coming from the pot.

"Smells good. Can't wait."

Louis starts to tap his foot on the ground with his arms crossed.

"Me neither, could you speed it up please? Im starving."

"Cant rush perfection." Omar responds, his concentration still on his cooking.

I should leave him to it, let him focus.

"I'll distract you no longer. See ya guys."

"Bye." Omar gives a small wave.

"See ya." Louis smiles.

A camp cook and a camp comedian. Brody was right. Louis is definetly a character.