The Test

I go to close the bag, but see something staring at me from the bottom. The mask. I kept telling myself to just close it and leave the room, but I didn't. I took the mask out and held it in both hands.

So many bad memories. Of who I was, and what I did. Some people had it coming, but some didn't. Like the couple we killed on the night I recieved this damn thing. But the bad people we did kill, the ones who were deserving, when I killed them there was something about it. A feeling. Not happiness, or sadness. Not guilt, or pride. I felt...
~~~~~
We stood outside an old warehouse. The rain came down relentlessly as the wind howled, causing the chainlink fence that surrounded the place to rattle. Laughter could be heard coming from inside. The door to the warehouse was graffitied with words like 'Fuck off!' and 'Knock to get shot'.

Inside were raiders.

We had stalked them a day before. They were cocky but cowardly. When they were robbing a small group of travellers, they would laugh at their fear, but most of them were jumpy at sudden noises and were constantly looking around.
Their leader seemed to be the only reason it went well. He was a stereotypical tough guy. Bulky but a bit fat. Bald. Bushy greying beard and mean eyes. He wore a biker vest with denim jeans and black boots. The rest of his men also wore the same get-up. Some sort of gang, I suppose.

Contrary to what the sign said, none of them had guns, so they all either used baseball bats, knives or just lead pipes. The leader sported a pair of brass knuckles.

After robbing a group, they would either beat most of them within an inch of their life, or the leader would murder one brutally. After they were done, they would return to the warehouse.

Joey looked at me.

"You ready?"

I nodded.

Susie held out her hunting knife.

"Wait, you guys aren't coming?" I asked.

"This is a test." Joey explained. "Kill all of them, and make it back out alive. If you're not back in an hour, we'll assume you're dead and leave."

I was about to protest, but knew there was no point. I would be made to do it either way.

"There are six of them. They're all morons so it shouldn't be impossible. Just be smart, and quick." He advised.

I take the knife from Susie's hand.

"Try and make them squeel." She smiles.

I put on the mask and put up my hood. I climbed up the tall fence and dropped down, my feet slapping on the concrete ground.

My hands shook nervously. Never have I had to do something like this on my own, and six seemed like a lot. These were adults. I was only 16.

I thought of running. All I had to do was go behind the warehouse so Joey and Susie couldnt see me, then climb the fence and sprint for it. But something stopped me from doing so.
I had already completed step one. I was behind the warehouse and stood infront of the fence. All I had to do was climb and run. But I couldnt. I wanted to, but something made me just stand there, staring out into the distance. I let out a quiet noise of frustration and turned back to the warehouse.

"Lets get this over with."

There was a backdoor to inside the place. I peeked through the keyhole to see what was in the room, instead of just walking straight in. It looked like a side room, away from the noise and laughter, and inside was a generator, humming away. I knew it was my best chance at doing this. I twisted the door handle and luckily those idiots didnt lock or block it.