Ill Gotten Gains

~~~~~
We were spending the night in a small forest not too far off from the road. Joey had built us a small campfire to keep us warm. Susie had fallen asleep, so it was just us awake. Joey poked the fire with a branch, causing embers to rise. I stared into the fire, thinking about what we had done the previous night.

We had heard a group of raiders, three of them, boasting to each other about how well their last mugging went on a trading caravan. I can't say much, since we did kill and rob that married couple. My stomach still tightens horribly thinking about it.

Anyway, there they sat, their ill gotten gains displayed out infront of them. Food, water, and some tools. We had run out of food and water the day before, and didn't want to continue forward, knowing that there was some nearby. Still, even if we had some, I doubt Joey and Susie would've ignored this oppurtunity to increase their body count.

"Did you see how I pulled that bitchs hair back, and blew her brains out?!" One of them gloated.

His friend laughed.

"Buncha fucking pansies. I mean, if it wasn't us who killed them, it would've been some walker."

The third one didn't say anything as he was too busy shovelling his tin of beans into his mouth, spilling juices onto his overgrown beard.

I emerged from the bush infront of them, making them jump to their feet, weapons ready. They looked me up and down, then laughed.

The second one spoke first.

"Get the fuck out of here kid." He sits back down. "Before I cave in your skull with my boot."

The third one sat back down as well, going back to his can.

The first one smiles maliciously, walking slowly towards me.

"Whats your name?"

I noticed a pistol hanging from his belt.

I didnt answer him.

He laughed.

"Oooh, tough guy huh?" He turned to his friends who smirk. "We'll see how long that lasts."

He turned back to me and reached into his pocket to pull something out, but stops and looks to his friends who screamed out.

Joey and Susie had risen from behind them, Joey slicing the second ones throat with his karambit, and Susie plunging her knife through the third ones back again and again. The first one panicked for his pistol.

I kicked the back of his leg while pulling him down by the shoulders. He fell to his knees, allowing me to take his gun from his holster, and shoot the back of his skull.

Joey gives me a nod of approval, and Susie claps her hands quickly like an excited little girl.
I stare down at the man, blood spilling from his head.
~~~~~