Violet

We finally make it back to the school, and Louis opens the creaky gate, then walks over to Omar at the cooking station.

"Five rabbits. Will that suffice?" He asks.

"Thanks guys, this is plenty." Omar says, taking the rabbits from us.

Marlon walks out of the main building, walking towards us.

"Well done gentlemen. Run into any trouble out there?" He asks.

"Just a few walkers, nothing me and (Y/n) couldn't handle." Louis winks, nudging my shoulder.

"Glad to see you're not afraid of a few deadheads." Marlon says to me. "Louis, could I speak to you for minute?"

"Sure. See ya around, (Y/n)." He waves as he walks off with Marlon.

Omar hands me a cup of coffee as a thank you, so I make my way over to a bench to sit and enjoy it. Apparently they have a whole load of it left.

On our way back, our encounter with the walkers had me thinking. When it came to killing, Joey always told me to make it as quick and clean as possible. Nothing fancy. But Susie. Susie had fun when she fought. She'd play around and enjoy as people suffered and bled. Walkers are one thing, but when its innocent people, she dragged it out as long as possible.
Louis having a bit of fun taking out those walkers is fine I guess, but it reminded me of her and her awful giggle.

I was snapped out of my thoughts as someone sat opposite me. And wouldn't you know, it was the blonde girl.

"You didn't tell Marlon about last night?" She asks.

I take a sip of coffee. I've never had any before. It wasn't the best, but it at least warmed me up.

"No."

"Why not?"

"Why do you think? Because then you'd tell him about what you found."

"And what exactly did I find?" She asks assertively.

"Its nothing to worry about, I swear. Just something from my past. Even I try not to look at it."

She raises an eyebrow.

"Then why not just throw it away."

I shake my head.

"Its not that easy."

She scoffs.

"How hard can it be?"

"You know what its like."

She sat up straight, almost defensively.

"Whats that supposed to mean?"

I reach into my pocket and lay the picture from underneath the dresser infront of her.

"I'm guessing this is what you were looking for last night?"

She looks down at the photo, then at me, then the photo, and snatches it, putting it into her pocket.

"Friends of yours?" I ask.

She lowered her head. She looked as if she was about to cry.

"Yeah..."

She sounded like it too.

"Look, we got off on the wrong foot. Im (Y/n)."

She didn't answer for a while, until she took a breath, and looked back up.

"Violet."

"Look, Violet, I know you're probably going through some stuff, and--"

She stood up, turning away from me.

"Dont act like you give a damn."

I fall quiet. I didn't know what to do in this situation. I've never had to comfort anyone before, but maybe thats not what she's looking for. Maybe she just needs space, or maybe she needs someone to talk to. I dont know. So, I dont say anything.

She stands there for a few seconds, lets out a shaky sigh and turns around, arms crossed.

"You're right. We all got something we cant forget... I wont tell Marlon, about the mask."

I nod.

"Thank you."

She looks at me in silence, nods back, then leaves to the dorms.

When she disappears, I feel a weight lift from my shoulders. I need to keep that mask better hidden to avoid any more situations like that.
That girl has something eating away at her, but I should stay out of it. It'll probably only aggravate her if I dont.

Violet.

Pretty name.