Getting To Work

I wake up the next morning, sunlight shining through the broken window. Yawning, I stretch and rub the sleep from my eyes. I look through my bag for my hoodie Not there. It was left on the floor from when that girl looked through my bag. After wiping it clean of dust, I put it back on.

While tying my shoes, I notice something underneath the dresser, far back.
I reach under and grab it, then held it in the sunlight. It was a photograph, and in it were three girls. Two of them I've never seen before, but the other was the girl from last night.
They look young and happy. Must've been taken when this place was still a school.

I pocket the picture, and head outside.

Only a few people were out in the courtyard. Tenn, Willy, Omar and Ruby. The others must still be asleep.
One of them must know where I can find Marlon.
Ruby was the closest to me, sitting in an armchair, reading.

"Good morning Ruby." I greet her.

"Well good morning. Sleep well?" She asks.

No.

"Yup."

She smiles.

I lean over, peeking at the title of the book, but the cover was so worn down it was unreadable.

"Whats it about?" I ask.

"This? Its about horses. Their biology and how to take care of em. You ever seen one?" She asks.

"A couple of times. Caravans usually bring one or two with them."

Joey always ignored those caravans. Said it'd be too much hassle dealing with riders, and that'd we'd probably just get trampled.

"Ever ride one?" She asks.

"Never really had the chance. They're pretty animals though."

"They are. My grandparents used to stable some. I loved visiting them in the summer. They even gave me riding lessons. I'm pretty good at it actually."

I took Ruby for a farm girl when I first met her, but I was just stereotyping her because of her accent. Seems I wasn't too far off though.

"You know where would I be able to find Marlon?" I ask.

"He should be up in the headmasters office." She points to the main building. "Just head inside and up the stairs. Its through the double doors."

She pointed to the second floor, where a balcony sat, looking over the courtyard.

"Thanks Ruby. Enjoy your book."

I give her a small wave goodbye and head into the building.
Once inside, I head up the stairs as instructed, and knock on the double doors. As my fist hit the door, it creaked open. I peek my head through.

"Marlon?"

Nothing. Rooms empty.

I push through the doors and walk in, taking a look around. It sure looked like an office. Nice chair with a big desk. There was a giant portrait of a smartly dressed man, but it was vandalised. Must've been the owner. I wonder what he'd say if someone told him that years later the kids here would take over and use it to protect themselves from flesh eating corpses.

Looking around the room some more, I come across another photo. This one was framed, sitting on the desk. It was Louis and Marlon. Just like the other one, they're both really young. The school in the background was almost unrecognisable by how well kept it was.
Looking at the picture kinda made me sad a little. I never really had a friend, let alone a best friend. When I was younger, I was a bit of a loner. I guess my constant sad face made everyone reluctant to talk to me.

The door behind me creaks and Marlon enters the room. I put the picture down and put my hands in my pockets so he didn't think I was stealing anything.

"Ah, there you are." He walks over.

"You said you needed me for something?" I ask.

He makes his way behind the desk and leans on it with both hands.

"If you're gonna be staying with us, then you're gonna have to help with the work. There isn't too much, but there are still things that need to be done."

"I don't mind work. Its the least I could do." I tell him.

"Good to hear. I'll need you to head out with Louis to look at the rabbit traps. Grab anything caught in them and reset em. Just stick beside him and listen to what he says. Any trouble, let me know."

"Got it." I nod.

Just as I was about to leave, he calls me back.

"Oh and (y/n)?"

I stop in my tracks and tense up. Does he know?

"If you already havent got a weapon of some sort, you should probably get one before heading out. Dont know what you might run in to out there." He says.

"Will do. Thanks Marlon."

I let out a sigh of relief. Okay, he doesnt know. She hasnt told him. But maybe she just hasnt gotten the chance yet. I'm not sure if I'm in the clear, but I guess I'll find out when I return from this trip.

Feels weird not having a weapon on me. I feel too vunerable. It'll be good to have one again. Although, Im not sure a school would have a lot of viable weapons.

I head out into the courtyard and take look around. I dont think theres anything that can be used as a weapon out here. If there was, they wouldn't have just left it lying around. Still, its worth a look.
After searching every nook and cranny, I couldn't find one. I guess I'll have to look inside.

I walk past the burnt down building, and my leg hits off something in it. I stop and take a look. It was a wooden handle. Hm, a wooden poll. It'll work I suppose.
I grab it and pull it out, and almost recieve an axe to the leg. Luckily I moved out of the way, and discovered it was not a wooden poll, but an axe. A pickhead axe. The handle was a dark brown, and the head seemed to be made out of a dark grey metal.
Oh yeah, this'll do.

Holding my new found friend, I spot Louis, who was waiting at the main gate, leaning against the wall, whistling to himself.
He smiles as I approach him.

"Morning sunshine, you ready?" He asks.

"As I'll ever be."

"Then lets go."

We leave through the gate and make our way into the forest.