Ruby's Great Idea

Looking around the courtyard, Clementine and AJ were nowhere to be found. I dont know why I was checking though. Louis said he'd tell me when they're back. I'm just being impatient. Funny, I never thought I'd want to go into a place full of raiders so bad before, but here I am.

I notice Tenn standing in the graveyard alone. He stood infront of Mitch's grave.
I walk over to him, but he doesnt acknowledge me. He stands there quietly, staring at the wooden cross.
I place a hand on his shoulder.

"Don't blame yourself for this."

He sniffs and wipes his teary eyes.

"Why? It--it was my fault. I ran out when I shouldnt have. Willy's right. I got Mitch killed."

"Its not your fault, Tenn. Lilly tried to manipulate you. Mitch would be happy to know you're safe. He'd want you to be strong. We need you to be strong. Omar, Aasim, Violet. They need you to be strong."

He looks up at me, his eyes still filled with tears.

"But I'm not strong. I'm scared."

"Just because you're scared, doesnt mean you're not strong. Strong people get scared all the time. But they dont let it control them. You were scared of the raiders, right?"

He nods.

"And yet you walked up to their leader and confronted them about your sisters. That takes a really brave and strong person to do."

"But... it got Mitch killed."

"Everyone does things that they feel is right. And sometimes that can get other people hurt, or killed. You thought confronting Lilly was the right thing to do, and Mitch knew putting his life at risk to help you was the right thing to do. He knew the risk, but if it meant you were safe, he'd do it without hestitation. So for him, and our friends on that boat, be strong."

He wipes his tears.

"Okay."

Looking at the grave, it made me wish I knew Mitch better. We were friendly when we first met, then after what happened with Marlon, not so much, but he came back around. I didn't know much about him, but the way he ran out to help Tenn, I have nothing but respect for him.

AJ and Clementine then come into the school. AJ see's us and runs over, standing beside Tenn. He looks at the grave, then at Tenn.

"Are you okay?"

Tenn shakes his head.

"No. But I'm trying to be strong."

"You are strong." AJ tells him.

Tenn smiles.

Clementine walks towards the main building, probably to tell Louis how it went with James. She might still be annoyed with me. I better go apologise.

"Clementine, wait up." I call.

She stops and turns to me, folding her arms.

"Yeah?"

She had a look that told me she was listening, but to make it quick.

"Look, Clementine, I wanted to apologise. I know what I said earlier this morning wasn't right. I dont know anything about your life and what you've been through. I dont know anything about the people that cared for you, but if they taught you what you're teaching AJ, then they must've been great guardians."

She raises an eyebrow.

"Didn't you say they were "shitty"?"

"I know what I said. I didn't mean it. I was just offended by the masked psychopath comment you made and then I took it too far. You're right, I dont know the first thing about raising a child. AJ's a good kid, he's lucky to have you. I suppose we're all lucky to have you. You don't need to forgive me, I just thought that you deserved an apology."