chapter 12 purpose

Mileena woke up and realized Y/n wasn't in bed. She looked and saw Y/n looking at himself in the mirror. 

Mileena: Darling?

Y/n looked at her.

Y/n: Morning beautiful. 

Mileena: You leaving already?

Y/n: I can't have Raiden worrying whether I'm alive or not. At least for now I have the "I partied too hard" excuse.  

Mileena: Give me a kiss before you go at least.

Y/n went over to Mileena and gave her a kiss.  Which she returned with passion. 

Afterwards Y/n left through a portal back home. 

He went to the bath  then the training yard. 

He was met by Liu Kang and Kung Lao.

Kung: Hey Y/n, how about a rematch between you and me?

Y/n: No thank you. 

Liu: Y/n. You will never learn control if you don't let loose.

Y/n: Easy to say when you don't have the power of a demon. 

Liu: We worry about you Y/n. You distance yourself from others out of fear for their safety.

Kung: Yeah. And we want you to not feel left out around here.

Y/n: I thank you both. But I am fine. 

Liu: If you change you're mind. You know where to find us. 

They walked away.

Minutes later Raiden approached. 

Raiden: Y/n. May I speak with you for a moment?

Y/n: Of course.

Raiden: I grow concern over you're recent stays in outworld.

Y/n: Forgive me lord Raiden. I have been trying to fight for the good of all.

Raiden: A noble feat. But the problem will be in a year.

Y/n: What happens in a year?

Raiden: The mortal kombat tournament. If outworld wins. They will invade earthrealm. 

Y/n: And you want me to fight?

Raiden: Yes. Since you are only their champion against Khacia. There is no issues.

Y/n: I will do what I must.

Raiden: I trust that you will. 

Y/n: Thank you for you're trust in me. 

Y/n took a trip to his old village. He thought it best to remind himself of what he was going to fight for. 

He walked into the village. The blood on the ground was washed away, the corpses were buried by the shaolin. 

He walked down the road, looking at the houses of former friends and family. Remembering that he was forced to kill every last one of them, their souls making up a portion of his power.  

Y/n found his old home and entered. It didn't give him the same feeling as before. The former sense of happiness, replaced with dread and sorrow.  The brick walls were still stained with blood.  

Y/n walked into the dining room. The only thing out of place was a single chair knocked over. He went and put the chair back in place.   He went up the stairs and into the bedroom he shared with his siblings. 

He looked at his old bed and sat down on it.  He took a deep breath and sat there for a minute. He then exited the house and  was ready to leave.  He got to the gate of the village before hearing a voice.

?: This is where it all happened, isn't it?

He turned to see Xerox standing there with an apple in hand. 

Y/n: How did you find me?

Xerox: That was easy. I knew you were from earthrealm. The only one that could really help you was Raiden. And this is the only village that I found that is abandoned not too long ago.

Y/n: This was my home.

Xerox: I've seen this same sight hundreds of times.  The first time I saw a sight like this, was when I was a victim of it.   When my wife was possessed by a demon.

Y/n looked at Xerox wide eyed.

Y/n: You're own wife?!

Xerox: Yes. I had no choice but to kill my own wife. After watching her slaughter everyone we knew, even our own children.    You're an anomaly Y/n, you not only escaped the control, you escaped being possessed.  

Y/n: I wish Raiden would have killed me. I was dead before I was possessed.

Xerox: They target the dead and sickly.  Seeing my wife back on her feet and moving. It brought me joy at first, until I watched her kill our children in an instant. Almost killed me, but I survived, barely.   I recovered as she systematically killed our neighbors, a whole city of people died before I recovered, then I battled her.  With luck alone, I managed to kill her. 

Y/n: I'm sorry.

Xerox: Don't be. She rather be dead than have you're fate. Our kids were everything to her, she wouldn't have wanted to live. Especially knowing she was the one who ended them.

Y/n: I can barely handle what I did.

Xerox: Many don't. But unlike them, you have a future you can fight for.  I worked for decades, making people who can fight demons. I fought them for decades by myself, getting stronger and stronger.  I made that my purpose. And I know that it will be your purpose as well.

Y/n looked away. 

Xerox: Appreciate life Y/n. Especially the company of the one you hold most dear to you. You never know how much they matter to you really, until you watch life leave their eyes.

Xerox walked away.

Y/n walked back to the temple. Contemplating what Xerox told him.