chapter 28 observation

With the civil war in Outwold, other realms might want to get involved. With Shao Khan wanting to absorb all realms, there is an intrest in making sure his children won't follow his example. 

Of course Khaciarealm was made aware of this. But Xerox knows that anything he does can cause the warning to come true, so caution is advised. 

As expected, the civil war takes no time in destroying towns as both sides battle throughout the realm. Guerrilla warfare is dominate as large battles are too risky.

Envoys go to the realms and attempt to sway the leaders to join them. 

Kiatana takes a personal approach to Earthrealm. She believes that without Y/n there, Earthrealm will side with her.

She approaches Raiden's temple and the guards allow her to enter to meet with Raiden. 

Raiden: Kitana of Outworld. What brings you here? 

Kitana: I seek support in defeating my sister and her forces. I know you and my father were enemies, but we don't have to be. 

Raiden: Your words are meaningless. Shao Khan was a snake with a venomous tongue, how do I know that you don't share that quality?

Kitana: I...I do not have a way to prove that to you, but I ask you to have faith that I am not that monster. I wish for you to trust in me to be able to lead Outwold to be a peaceful realm. 

Raiden: Forgive me if I am hesitant to accept that.

Kitana: I understand that completely, but know that each second that you wait, hundreds will die.

Liu Kang and Kung Lao interject.

Liu: Lord Raiden, forgive me if I speak out of turn. But we shouldn't stand idle as the innocent die.

Kung: I second that, Y/n wouldn't want that. In fact I know that he'd be out there right now, trying to end the violence!

Raiden: I hear your concerns, both of you. But this a conflict we know very little about. 

Liu Kang: Allow me to go and observe the conflict then. I will see if what Kitana says is true or not.

Kung Lao: I don't actually think that's a good idea. 

Raiden: It may not be, but if we are to choose a side. We need more information, Liu Kang you have my permission to be an observer.  But! Do not get personally involved in the conflict unless you are defending yourself!

Liu Kang bows.

Liu: Yes lord Raiden. 

Kitana: Very well then. Come along then, Liu Kang.  

Liu Kang nods and  follows Kitana back through a portal.  Kitana takes him to the palace.  From there it was up to Liu Kang to decide what to do next.

He decides that an inspection of towns, observing guard activities and troop movements should give him a place to start.

What he didn't expect to find was a third contender.  

He stands on top of a hill as he watches a battle between two units of soldiers. Suddenly Kytinn appear out of the ground and start battling both sides.  

Liu Kang watches as he notices the one and only general Reiko fighting alongside the Kytinn. He watches as after the battle the Kytinn take their dead and go back into the ground, making their presence almost undetectable. 

With this new information, he reports back to Kitana. Kitana explains about the kytinn.

Kitana: My father told me that there are a species that spreads rapidly, if left unchecked they will swallow entire realms whole.

Liu Kang: So we can not let them spread?

Kitana: Well as you can see, I am busy. You will have to deal with this by yourself if you wish to. 

Liu Kang sighs.

Meanwhile Mileena's forces are made aware of Reiko.

Mileena leads a force out on patrol with Scorpion.  As they march the ground start to shake and Kytinn pop out of the ground.

The skirmish didn't last long but only a handful of Mileena's men remained.

Scorpion: What are these things?

Mileena: I...am not sure. They look like how father described Kytinn. But he said that he killed them all.

Scorpion: It seems that he missed a few.

Mileena: We should head back, I need to figure out a new plan.

Scorpion nods and they head back. Mileena walks into her command tent to hear Kotal and Shang Tsung.

Shang: Are you worried that I will betray you?

Kotal: It wouldn't be the first time.

Shang: Kotal-Kotal. I only acted under Shao Khan's orders.

Kotal: It doesn't fill me with confidence. You are a snake.

Shang: Oh? And what proof do you have of this?

Kotal: You know of every treacherous act that you have committed!

Mileena: If you two are done, we have better business to attend to. The Kytinn have returned.

Shang: That certainly puts a halt to our ideas.

Kotal: I suggest that we deal with them first.

Mileena: Agreed, let's find a way to figure out where their hive is.