chapter 19 invasion begins

Shao Khan has devised a plan to invade Earthrealm. The plan revolves  around two things, reviving Sindel, and ensuring that Y/n stays neutral throughout the conflict. 

There is only one way that he can make this happen. Exploiting Y/n's one weakness,his kindness.

Taking hostages is easy. Putting them in a situation where any move Y/n makes,means death for the hostages, is a bit tricky.  But can be done.

This would take some planning and brainwashing.  

The crafty Khan devised his plan and began to execute it.  

His forces captured about a hundred civilians and hid them in different parts of outworld.  Sindel was resurrected and Shao Khan used her as a casus beli to invade Earthrealm.

But first, he must send a messenger to inform Y/n of the hostages. 

The front gate of Raiden's temple is met by Kitana. 

Naturally, Raiden  teleports between her and the gate. 

Raiden: What is you're business here, outworlder?

Kitana: I come with a message from my father, Shao Khan. The message is for the champion of Earthrealm.

Raiden: Speak. And I will relay the message.

Kitana: My father will not be pleased with that. And the champion will want to hear this. 

Raiden thought about it for a moment.

Raiden: Very well. You may enter the temple. I will escort you to Y/n, personally.

The gates opened and Kitana followed Raiden into the temple.

They entered the training area. Liu Kang and Kung Lao noticed the visitor. 

Liu Kang couldn't help but stare.

Kung: *sarcastic* You should probably stop staring. You might kill her with it. 

Liu Kang snapped out of his trance. 

Y/n was practicing on the dummy, as per usual. 

He turned and saw Raiden and Kitana. He immediately stopped and walked up to them. 

Y/n: Lord Raiden, what is the meaning of this?!

Kitana: I have a message for you. My father has taken hostages. He has hid them all throughout outworld.  None of them will be harmed, if you remain netural during his invasion of Earthrealm. 

Y/n: What guarantee do I have, that he will keep his word? 

Kitana: I...can't offer you anything. Except...myself. 

Y/n: *confused* Pardon?

Kitana: A hostage. Holding me hostage will make my father keep his word.

Y/n: No. I will not stoop to his level. Tell him that I will stay neutral. But when he loses, the hostages will be free.  Or else I will dismantle his empire.

Kitana nods. She stands there for a second then leaves.

Raiden: Are you sure that you are okay with this?

Y/n: Yes. I believe that you can win without me. 

Raiden nods and leaves.

Y/n sighs.

Y/n: I am sorry.

The invasion starts off with a bang. 

Y/n watches from a rooftop as Shao Khan's forces fight the forces of Earthrealm in a city.  He hears a voice behind him.

?: What an interesting choice you made.

Y/n turns to see Xerox.

Xerox: I expected you to be down there fighting.

Y/n: I have to stay neutral. Shao Khan has hostages. If I attack, he kills them.

Xerox: Clever. 

Y/n: It's alright. I have faith in Earthrealm.  This is the only way that Shao Khan will learn that Earthrealm will not fall.

The outworld forces set up a forward operating base. This is an easier location to manage their invasion across the globe.

The brainwashed Sindel believes that Mileena is Kitana's sister. The same lie that Kitana was groomed to believe.

But even with a family reunited. Mileena is still given pause. If Shao Khan wins, how will he treat Y/n. Will he be accepted, or shunned?  That is the question that lingers in her mind.  

She leaves the camp and pretends to join the frontline. She climbs up onto the rooftop and watches the battle below. 

She feels a tap on her shoulder.  She turns and is surprised to see Y/n.

Mileena: Y/n! *hugs him*

Y/n chuckles and returns the hug.

Mileena: What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be helping you're friends?

Y/n: You didn't know? Shao Khan has hostages. If I help, they die.

Mileena: He didn't tell me. I'm...sorry.

Y/n: For what?

Mileena: I want to help you. But I don't know how.

Y/n: Don't be! It's not you're fault.

?: Quite a pickle you're in, eh?

Y/n and Mileena turn to see Kano with Erron.

Y/n: You! What do you want?

Kano: The same thing I always do. Money. The black dragon can help you get these hostages out. We did take them to the locations they are hidden at, after all.

Y/n was starting to get angry at this extortion attempt. But Mileena chimed in.

Mileena: I know where my father keeps his most valuable treasure!

Kano: Oh?

Mileena: If you help Y/n, I will tell you where it is. But you'll have to get in on you're own. 

Kano: Sounds reasonable to me.   You'll be informed when we are done.

Kano and Erron walk away. 

Y/n: You didn't have to do that.

Mileena: Yes I did. You gave all of outworld a chance to survive. It's only fair that I give you one. And...I love you.

Y/n: I love you too.

The stage is set. But how will it play out.