~Prologue~

~Annabel~ (8 years old)

"Annabel! Your father and I are going out for a little. We'll be back by ten. Until then, we had Lacey come over to babysit."

My mother smiled at me. That beautiful smile that made her look so much younger. I smiled and hugged her.

"Ok mommy. I love you! Hurry back."

She giggled and pulled back to look me in the eyes.

"Of course hon. We'll be back before you know it."

"Promise?"

"Promise! I love you Annabel!"

She gave me one last glance before her and my dad were out the door. After a few hours of playing games and watching movies with Lacey, it was time for bed. I tossed and turned for what seemed like forever.

But something was keeping me awake. I glanced at my princess clock and read the time. 10:30. I didn't hear mommy or daddy come through the door. That didn't seem right. I crawled out of bed and ran to my window, which had a view of the driveway. The car wasn't there. As I went to turn around, someone grabbed my arm.

For some reason, I wasn't scared. I turned to see a little boy who seemed to be about my age, staring back at me. He had the most beautiful orange eyes I've ever seen. He leaned in to whisper in my ear.

"Something bad happened. But I need you to understand that everything will be ok." He sounded sad and distant.

But his eyes didn't once leave mine. I nodded and waited for him to respond. But he didn't. Instead he let go of my arm and kissed my forehead before jumping down to the ground and disappearing into the night. A cop car pulled into the driveway not long after he left. I ran down the stairs just as Lacey was opening the front door.

"Hello miss. Are you Lacey Anderson?" Lacey nodded looking stunned.

"I'm here to inform you that Mr. and Mrs. Smith got into a terrible accident. They're both in the hospital. Mr. Smith only has a few cuts and bruises. Mrs. Smith... wasn't so lucky. I'm gonna need you to come with me."She turned to see me standing by the staircase looking confused.

What does he mean they're in the hospital? She gave me a sad smile and grabbed our coats. She took my hand and led me out into the police car.

The ride to the hospital was long. No one said a word. I was thinking about the little boy that was at my window earlier. He said something bad happened. The only problem is, I didn't know what.

When we got to the hospital, Lacey was dragging me along by my hand. When we got into the room my mom and dad were in I practically panicked.

My dad was laying in a bed. He looked terrible but he was awake which was good. But when I caught sight of my mom, everything around me ceased to exist. It was just her in that hospital bed. There was blood everywhere and doctors were frantically yelling and running around. I didn't quite know what was going on. Her eyes darted to me and I knew she wanted me to come over. I slowly made my way over and she grabbed my hand.

"I'm sorry Annabel. I broke my promise."

A stray tear rolled down her cheek and I wiped it away as lightly as I could. I tried not to cry. I really did. But as soon as she squeezed my hand I lost it. I bawled.

She whispered "Shhh. It's gonna be ok. I promise. And that's a promise I will be sure to keep. I love you."

Her eyes started closing and I finally found my voice.

"Mom! Mommy! What's wrong! Don't leave me please!"I was hysterical now and the monitor beside my mom started beeping faster.

The doctors had desperate looks in their eyes and one of them picked me up, my hand slipping from my Mom's. I was kicking and screaming but they wouldn't listen. And just like that, my mom was gone. Forever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~

D: awwwwww....

So what do you think? Leave comments. I'd love to knows opinions(: