12

Jeongguk looks at his reflection in the mirror for what feels like the hundredth time tonight, but as soon as he diverts his eyes, he's paranoid that his hair looks weird. So he runs his hands through it once more.

At first, he was a little unsure as to what to wear; he'd rather skip the embarrassment of being under or overdressed, but in the end, he settled on a black dress shirt and semi-formal dress pants. That way, he can dress it down by leaving a few buttons open, maybe even roll the sleeves up his arms if he feels like it.

The Uber he ordered drops him off right outside the restaurant, and immediately, he realizes that you're not there yet, so he decides to wait for you at the entrance. You're a pretty punctual person, so he's sure you'll arrive soon. After all, he's fifteen minutes early.

Jeongguk kicks a few rocks around as he curses himself for not stopping by your place first so that you could go together, but alas, it is what it is. He wonders what you're wearing, if you've decided to dress up a little or not. You have an inherently classy vibe to you, so you could just come in your regular clothes, not like Jeongguk, who only has the energy to pull out his slightly more stylish clothes during the weekends (or for parties).

At five minutes after seven, he sends you a quick text.

'I'm outside, are you on your way?'

He keeps the conversation open, eyes watching intently for that little bubble to pop up, but it never does. Five minutes later, he tries to call you, but it goes directly to voicemail. Both times.

Maybe your phone died, and you got stuck in traffic? Jeongguk waits a little longer. Twenty-five minutes; he calls again. Voicemail. Voicemail. Voicemail.

Fifty minutes and he calls for another Uber, this time with your apartment as the destination. Something must've happened.

It arrives in only a few minutes, and Jeongguk spends the short ride bumping his knee up and down, up and down. It doesn't occur to him until after he's knocked on your door that maybe... maybe you stood him up? On purpose. But why would you do that? You wouldn't. If you changed your mind, you would've let him know. Right?

He tries the door a few times, but it doesn't seem like there's anyone home, and now, he doesn't know what to do. You're still not picking up or answering his texts, and he doesn't have Yuna's number.

But maybe Hoseok does?

Jeongguk presses his thumb to Hoseok's contact, exiting the apartment complex as he waits for the familiar voice to answer. When he looks up, he can see that your windows are dark; there's no one home.

"Hello?"

"Hey! Uh, I was wondering... You know Yuna? Yoongi's girlfriend and Y/n's friend?"

"Uh, yeah, what about her?" Hoseok asks, sounding a little suspicious.

"You have her number?" Even to Jeongguk, the desperation is palpable.

"No, I don't. And I don't think Yoongi's gonna give it to you either..."

"Fuck!"

"Why? Why do you need her number?"

"Y/n didn't show up for our date, and she isn't responding to my calls or texts, and I think maybe something happened?"

The line goes quiet for a moment. Then, Hoseok sighs. "You sure she's not avoiding you on purpose, then?"

It's Jeongguk's turn to be silent, trying to gather his thoughts. "She wouldn't."

"Look, I know few girls would stand you up, but maybe you need to realize that you're not invincible." Jeongguk knows what Hoseok means. He's not being mean... just honest.