54

"Have you seen the car keys?" Jeongguk stresses, and when you peer over at him, he's lifting the fruit bowl as if the keys would've somehow made it underneath it.

"I saw you put them into your pocket five minutes ago."

Meeting your eyes, he digs his hand into both front pockets of his black slacks, the keys dangling from his finger soon after.

"Thanks. And, uh, the necklace?"

"In the bag," you point to the hallway where a light blue gift bag stands.

"Oh. So when are–"

"–Gguk, breathe," you interrupt, closing the distance between you and fixing the collar of his dark blue shirt. "What's got you in such a rush? We've got loads of time."

He obeys your instruction, and you watch his chest expand and fill with air before he breathes it back out.

"I just–I guess I'm kinda nervous." He fiddles with his fingers.

"Why?"

"Well, you know... they aren't exactly the most pleased with my choice of work. Or that I've never brought a partner home before now. Or how I look. Not that they usually comment on everything, but you know, I can tell. And you're in the same type of line of work–creative–and I don't want them to, I don't know, insult you somehow..."

"Because of my profession?"

"Yeah. Or maybe call you dumb for settling for a photographer? Try to use you to make me feel dumb and guilty so I'll change my mind and start working as an accountant or something."

"Settling for a photographer? A really, really talented, hardworking, and appreciated photographer?" you smile. "Don't worry about me, okay? And I know it's easy for me to say as my family has always been supportive, but as long as you think you've chosen the path that's right for you, try not to take it to heart."

"I'll try, and I know I did what was right for me, it's just that sometimes, their insisting makes me second-guess myself. "

"I understand. But it would be such a waste, not having you do what you do. The world would be a much more gray place."

He huffs, but you can at least tell you won him over.

The drive is smoother, less anxious than what preparing for it was. It takes roughly an hour, almost as long as a trip to your parents' does, only in basically the opposite direction.

He lets you pick the music, but you choose to zap through the radio channels instead of playing from your phone. It's only background noise anyway.

Mostly, it's his family you talk about. You've never known much about them, but even in college, you knew Jeongguk practically only studied 'economic shit' because they wanted him to. What you've learned since has undoubtedly brought dimension to his family, but you can't say you adore them just yet.