22

Gguk?"

"Uhm... yeah?" he confirms, confused as to why you look so confused, peeking out from behind your door.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't realize it was Monday already!"

Jeongguk's heart sinks. "Oh, are you busy? We can do another time if this isn't a good one..."

"No, no, I just have something I need to finish up, but it'll only take me another half an hour or so, so come in."

The door opens wider, enough for him to step inside, and he does, eyes traveling curiously along your figure. You're in a fluffy, blue robe despite it being afternoon.

"What are you..." he begins, trailing behind you into the kitchen, where there's a ton of white fabric occupying the table right next to a sewing machine, and it dawns on him.

"Is—is that? Your wedding dress?"

"Yeah. I need to adjust it a bit. I hope you don't mind waiting, but I can only do it when Joon's not home."

"Yeah, no, of course not," Jeongguk assures, unable to tear his eyes from the dress. He can't make out any details from the way it's lying lifeless on the table, but it's... white. And it looks big.

"Actually, when you're already here... Do you think you could help me do some measuring?"

Jeongguk turns, only to see you watch him hopefully.

"Okay. I mean, I'm not super good with numbers or anything, but... sure," he scratches at his neck.

You laugh sweetly. "It's alright. I need to take it up a little, but I wanna make sure I get the length right, and it's hard to measure it on yourself. So all you need to do is put a few needles where I tell you."

Well, he's pretty sure he can do that, so he nods, and you pick the dress up carefully and disappear into your bedroom.

While he waits, Jeongguk sets his laptop on the table and opens his phone to check his social media, but it isn't long until he hears the door creak open and your quiet voice.

"I'm kinda worried it's not pretty enough... I sorta want to add a band right here and get rid of this to make it an off-the-shoulder, but I don't know if that's overestimating my skills," you chuckle nervously.

But Jeongguk isn't really listening; he's just looking. Admiring. His heart and mind are both at standstill. Hollow, empty. How can someone look so beautiful?

And then another realization sinks in. His heart clenches pathetically, knowing you'll never wear that dress for him, and he wants to smack Namjoon for not appreciating what he has. He wonders.

What could've been?

You? And... him?

Red, fluorescent numbers float in the air. August fifteenth. About two and a half months away, and with each second, it's nearing. Jeongguk's going to be there, he's going to watch you walk down the aisle in that pretty dress and with an even lovelier smile on your face.

"So... what do you think? You've been to a lot of weddings, do you think I'll be pretty enough?"

His head snaps up. Pretty... enough?

"Are you kidding?" he questions, bordering on being offended before taking on a softer tone. "You know I've always thought you to be beautiful. With or without a fancy dress, you'll blow him away."

His eyes fall from your sheepish face to your waist where a seam runs along your side. It looks so smooth, so form-fitting, and his fingers itch to feel it. The entire dress makes him crave to hold you in his arms, but that's out of the question, so all he does is mindlessly reach out to lay his hand on your waist.