50

The one struggle you never would've guessed comes up around a month later.

Slowly but surely, Jeongguk has reintroduced you to his friends. Seokjin and Taehyung still enjoy spending their Friday nights out. You know Jeongguk hasn't joined them in quite some time, mostly because he's spent those evenings with you, but you encourage him to hang out with his friends more since you also know they've missed him.

But of course, he makes you join.

At first, you could tell he was uncomfortable being sat in the small booth with you and his friends. Not that he's ashamed of either party but because every single person at the booth knows exactly what happened in college, and he's still ashamed of himself. So, the first few times you tag along, Jeongguk's nervous. He holds your hand under the table and asks what you want before he leaves to get drinks at the bar.

The fourth time, he's relaxed enough to put his arm around you, realizing that no one's going to berate him for having the audacity to take something he doesn't deserve. At least, that's what you assume, and his arm remains on the padded backrest of the curved booth for nearly two hours.

You smile, leaning into him and drawing soft patterns on his jean-clad knee. However, the happiness doesn't last long, and when those two hours are up, it feels like your entire world shatters.

"Hey, I'm gonna get another beer as well, you want something?" Jeongguk asks, sliding out of the booth.

"Can you get me a cider?"

He smiles so softly and nods, and you thank him with a hand on his shoulder before he stands up.

But the next second, Taehyung returns to the booth with drinks of his own, and his eyes immediately find Jeongguk's.

"Uh, Gguk, just... wanna let you know that Tzuyu is here."

It wouldn't have worried you if Taehyung didn't seem so concerned, his eyes unsure, and his posture as if trying to shield your booth from something. You glance behind him but don't see anything out of the ordinary. Taehyung sets the drinks down on the table, one in front of Jimin.

"Oh... Well, it's fine," Jeongguk dismisses, patting his jeans for his wallet in preparation for the bar. "I don't care; I'm not gonna, like, talk to her or anything."

"Who's Tzuyu?" you ask and in turn, get everyone's eyes on you. Jimin, Taehyung, and Seokjin–they all look at you, except for Jeongguk.

"You didn't tell her?"

"Uh, no... I've had more important things to think about."

"She's an ex of his," Seokjin reveals from further into the booth. "All around shitty and abusive person, honestly."

"Oh come on, it wasn't that bad, you're exaggerating," Jeongguk defends but with that said, he's already on his way to the bar, and you keep looking between the remaining men. Jimin, on the opposite side, seems just as confused as you.

"What do you mean 'abusive?'" you ask carefully, your heart at a standstill.

Clearly irritated at his friend's nonchalance, Taehyung sits down across from you. "Could seem sweet as long as she got her way, but honestly super manipulative. Literally saw her slap the shit out of him once. We were at a club, a bunch of us and they were at the bar until she left for the bathroom, and when she came back, another girl was talking to him and he was, you know, politely turning her down. But it didn't matter."

As you listen to Taehyung's words, letting them break your poor heart, you keep your eyes on Jeongguk. He smiles toward the bartender, waiting for him to pour the beer and retrieve your cider. He's dressed in black jeans and an oversized black and blue plaid shirt with the top two buttons left unbuttoned. It accentuates his muscular shoulders, and he looks so handsome.