25

"I feel terrible," Jimin admits, his voice almost disappearing with the music as the two of you have moved back into the main room, standing at the side and observing people having a lot more fun than you.

"I had no idea he felt like this. I should've talked to him about it more thoroughly, but instead, I was just so appalled by everything that we hung out less and less and eventually lost contact. But him, Tae, and Jin... They were never evil, just a bit... dumb. And knowing him, he probably tried to deal with everything on his own."

"Yeah," you agree mindlessly, biting your lip.

"And I mean, you know what they all said about him? Even to him? I thought he managed to brush most of it off, but clearly, he didn't. And with us leaving, it's really no surprise. I mean, what he did was wrong on so many levels, but to say that he—"

"There he is," you interrupt the moment your alert eyes spot that familiar head of dark brown, nearly black hair heading towards the bar.

Feet already moving, you turn back around halfway, hand slightly outreached. "I'm sorry, Jimin, I gotta go, but I'm so glad to see you again, and I know Jeongguk is too."

"No worries. I'll do my best to be there for him if he needs me, and I'm glad he's already got you."

"Thank you."

"Oh, you don't need to thank me, he's my friend too. I hope."

After that, you're on your way, weaving through the people. You hope Jeongguk's not too upset—you'd hate for him to retreat into his shell when tonight's all about having fun with his friends.

When you reach him, he's sitting at the wooden bar with his phone unlocked in his hand, entirely oblivious to the woman only a few barstools away, who's seemingly gathering up her courage to approach him.

You don't remember ever talking to her, but then again, your college was huge, your list of friends short, and people change. What you can't do is fault her, because Jeongguk, who used to be one of the campus heartthrobs, still beats out every man present.

Like you've observed many times, he's broader now, the dark blue shirt he's wearing hangs so perfectly from his shoulders and shows off his small waist where the fabric's tucked into his black pants. Not to forget the way it follows the curves of his biceps whenever he moves his arms.

He's always been handsome, but he's more approachable now than he was back then, a more humble aura accompanying those kind, brown eyes. At least that's what you think. Or well, probably the woman too, since she looks a little too 'normal' to have ever hit on him in college. A little like you.

Maybe another day, you would've stepped back for a minute to let her shoot a painful shot, but tonight, you pretend not to notice her. With how the night's gone so far, you seriously doubt Jeongguk's in the mood for new friendships.

"Hey, how'd it go?"

He startles slightly, locking the device and putting it away as he turns to you.

"Uh, surprisingly well, actually. She apologized. But I was just about to text you? You think you can drive us home later? I'm really feeling a drink or two."

There's something that feels slightly off about him, but you nod nonetheless. He did just find out that his childhood dog died and on top of that, he had to face Yuna, which can be an experience in itself even if you're surprised to find out that she merely apologized. It doesn't look like he's cried anymore, but there's something in the way his eyes flicker, never really making contact with yours, that you don't particularly enjoy.