James chapter 3

It's really strange how life turns out sometimes, one minute I was being taken to a village too hopefully start a new life since my old home had been destroyed...and now here I am running towards a hive mind alongside another kid who was probably the same age as me.

Nathan had managed to get up and tried to get a swing at the hive mind but it flew just out of range of his strike, he was about to charge the hive mind again when suddenly one of the holes on its body opened up and shot some sort of bright green fire at Nathan, he was startled a. It but managed to smack the flame away with his sword.

Tim and Will were busy fighting off several corruption worms so it was left to me and Bennet to help Nathan fight this thing.

Bennet fired off two shots at the hive mind which managed to hit it in the side, I also held out my hand and fired a stream of crystal shards at it.

The hive mind turned around and faced us before suddenly charging at us, Bennet dove out of the way but the hive mind managed to ram me and knock me onto my back this causing me to squish my backpack.

I rolled out of the way just as the hive mind shot a bright green flame at where I once was, and when I rolled back up onto my feet I held out my palm towards the hive mind before firing off a large burst of crystal shards at it.

The hive mind staggered back a bit allowing Bennet to shoot it in the side a few times before he had to reload his revolver, The hive mind began to fire some of the green flames at him but thankfully Nathan managed to stop it by landing a slash with his sword.

I got up and was about to cast another burst of crystals at the hive mind when it suddenly turned to face me and fired several orbs of bright green fire, I leaned my body to the side and around the first fireball but the second one made contact with my chest.

I felt a burning pain as the fire torched my shirt and chest and so I began to violently pat at my chest to try and put the flame out, it took a while and burned like hell but I managed to put the fire out.

I pushed myself back up ready to fight this hive mind again when I saw something that made me freeze.

The hive mind had charged full speed right at Bennet who had tried to shoot it so he didn't dodge in time, he took the full force of the hit and went flying back and crashed into some house and when he slid down onto the ground I saw a slight crack in the wood of the house where he had crashed into it.

James: Bennet!

Nathan and Tim ran to try and help him only for several eaters and worms to surround them and force them to fight with them.

I don't know who this kid is but he saved me earlier, I think it's time I repaid the favor.

I was about to run toward the hive mind to get a better shot at it with the crystal shower when suddenly-

James: Agh!

Suddenly I felt a sharp sting in my chest that left a bit of a burning sensation, I clutched my chest as I looked up and saw the hive mind slowly closing in on Bennet who clearly had some pain in his back from that last blow.

James: Damnit...what's...happening? (I asked to myself as I tried to push myself forward despite what felt like a warm cramping sensation around my chest area that began to spread)