Laura chapter 8

I just kept staring out the window in pure amazement, one moment I was hundreds of miles underground and suddenly I'm all the way up in space, but that's when something dawned on me, I quickly turned back towards the device that had brought me here and muttered to myself.

Laura: Hopefully that thing can send me back to where I was...otherwise I'm going to have to go through all that shit underground again...not to mention figure out how the hell I'm going to get down from here.

You know what lets save those thoughts for later, right now I may as well explore this place while I'm here, and so I took one last look at the numbered device that I had traveled through and memorized it's number so that I could leave when I needed to and then began to explore, the hallways were well lit by more of those bright ceiling glow sticks but these ones were much brighter and looked more maintained.

Laura: Someone has definitely been here recently, question is who?

I would receive my answer when my fox ears suddenly pick up on the sounds of people talking and they were getting closer to me, out of instinct I ducked around the corner of a wall and waited, I could hear loud heavy footsteps pounding against the metal floor before stopping just a little ways away from where I was, I slowly peeked out and saw two men who thankfully weren't looking in my direction, they were dressed in strangely shaped metal armor that had small glowing lights coming from the shoulders and back, in their hands were large rifles kind of similar to the one that Daedalus left me only they were more of a dark grey color with a red light coming from them.

At first I thought about heading out to ask where I was but stopped myself when I remembered one important detail, Daedalus said that a number of his bases had been captured by Yharim's forces...and if that's the case then there's a very good chance that these guys work for Yharim so for that reason I chose to stay hidden.

After waiting a brief moment they turned away and began to walk off presumably to guard some other place as part of their patrol, I took one last peek to make sure they really were gone and breathed a sigh of relief.

Laura: (I really should leave...but this is my chance to get a better understanding of what I'm up against and maybe get something that might enhance my credibility when I try to tell someone about this)

Well 'if' I decide to tell someone about this, I'm still trying to decide on that given the fact that I'm a halfbreed and there's a good chance that the people would rather just run me out then bother listening to a word that I have to say.

And so I continued on my way through this base being sure to mentally map out every single path that I took so that I hopefully wouldn't get lost, I had a few close calls with some more of these soldiers but thanks to my enhanced hearing and overall perception I was able to detect them and avoid detection.

After some time I found myself standing in front of a large circular metal door with all kinds of lights and bolts around it and several lines along the door that made it look like it was actually just 4 large metal triangles being pushed together, just as I was wondering how it opens I saw the bolts suddenly start turning and moved out of the way and I quickly jumped to the side just as the triangles all retracted into their respective places and another one of those guards walked through the now open doorway.

The guard walked away and they didn't bother closing the door behind them and so I let curiosity get the better of me and I quickly snuck into the room, I found myself in some large room with huge windows all along the end and sides of the room which allowed me to see all of the starts and a few floating islands and planetoids off in the distance, a few consoles with buttons screens and other strange devices that were completely foreign to me were all over the room and a small staircase ran down the middle of the room showing that each of the consoles were at separate elevations so that whoever was at the back of the room could still see everything in front of them without having their view impaired by whoever was sitting in front of them...there were several other people in the room but there were only two of them dressed in that strange armor the rest of them were guys dressed in long white coats...and at the very end of the room working at the largest console was someone who I almost gasped when I saw.