Interrupted

They were entwined with each other. Neither willing to let go of the other, they pulled closer and closer, hoping to melt into one another. 

She pulled harder on the back of his neck, willing him to be closer. She could feel his lips on her own. Hot and kissing her fiercely as if they had wanted to for so long, but couldn't. It was almost as if they were both desperate; desperate to feel all of each other. 

He gripped her waist as if his life depended on it. His hands moved, as if on their own, up to the buttons that clasped her dress together. Managing a couple loose. 

He would have managed more too, if it hadn't been for the fist around the neck of his jacket, forcefully pulling him back and away from her. 

"Are you insane?!" It was Benedict. 

Abigail, shocked at first for the abrupt stop, breathed a sigh of relief as she recognized it was him, and no one who would make trouble. Then again, she was breathing rather hard in the first place, so she wasn't sure if it was a sigh of relief or just simply an attempt to catch her breath. 

"What are you doing out here?" Anthony questioned his brother. 

"Are we honestly questioning my whereabouts right now?" His voice was barely above a whisper, but he spoke as if he was capable of screaming. "What the hell were you thinking?" 

"I wasn't." Anthony continued to argue with his brother, though Abigail had a suspicion he was redirecting other emotions. "But you have no right to lecture me."

"I have every right if you are going to drag Abigail—"

"Enough!" She spoke over them, exasperated. "Honestly, you two speak as if I had no choice in the matter." She muttered that part more to herself. 

She huffed a frustrated sigh. 

"From what I can tell, we weren't seen. So we can all stop talking about it." She began to turn, ending everything abruptly. With a last glance at him from over her shoulder she said, "You two stay for a moment." And with that, she left. 

She didn't take a moment to talk to him. She didn't insist they be left alone. She left. Abigail wasn't sure if this was the right choice, but this was the choice that was being made, and it was certainly too late to change it. 

After all, Anthony didn't want to get married. He certainly didn't want to talk about any feelings they might have for each other. Right? 

Abigail entered the ballroom, finally, after a walk down what felt like the longest corridor in the world. She could hear some commotion happening, but she was still mostly in her head. So she spotted Daphne standing next to The Duke and headed their way. 

"—to my book I shall know who to ask." She heard Daphne finish 

"What is happening?" She landed next to Daphne. 

"Oh," Daphne turned in her direction. "The Prince is here. Where have you been?" 

"Ladies room." She lied with ease. 

"Oh, I do believe he just told Miss Cowper that her gown is exquisite." Simon made a comment. Clearly, carrying on a previous conversation, but Abby laughed anyway. 

"Do you think so?" Daphne laughed. 

"He is here to tell every lady the very same thing." Simon said before he had to move to make way for his Highness and her Majesty. 

"Prince Friedrich, these are the young ladies I was telling you about. Miss Bridgerton, the season's diamond; and Miss Bentley, the incomparable." The Queen boasted. 

Both ladies curtsied when their name was said. The Prince reached for Daphne's hand first, and kissed it. 

"So lovely to meet you Miss Bridgerton. Your gown, it is exquisite." 

At that moment both ladies burst out laughing. Abigail became quite flushed because she knew they shouldn't be, but she simply couldn't seem to stop. Unfortunately Daphne's only worsened as she managed to let out a snort, which only made the two ladies laugh harder. 

"Oh, oh we do apologize, your highness." Daphne said almost immediately. 

"Yes, I'm truly sorry." Abigail was still chuckling, desperately trying to calm down. 

"No apologies necessary." He played off, smoothly. 

"Perhaps a small one." The Queen commented and attempted to guide her nephew away. 

But the Prince stopped her, and very intentionally reached for Abigail's hand and kissed it. 

"It was lovely to meet you." He said softly before walking away with his aunt. 

Abigail smiled, and blushed despite herself. As she let her hand drop, she caught Anthony's eye from across the room. Evidently as far away from her as he could get. She must have missed his re-entrance, for he and Benedict now stood side by side against a wall. Benedict was not attempting to hide his glare. 

But she wasn't distracted by him, she was distracted by Anthony who did not remove his gaze from hers. She wished she could read him for she couldn't tell anything that was happening in his head.

(Ok sorry guys! School got in the way, but the good news is I have 2 chapters back to back for you! Hope you like it!)