The empty child- part four

The Doctor's brow furrows. Nancy turns away, and the Warden gives a quiet, ironic laugh, clearly confused. Rose and Jack are sitting on top of the spaceship, drinking the champagne. Rose stands up. 

Rose: You know, it's getting a bit late. I should really be getting back. 

Jack: We're discussing business. 

Rose: This isn't business. This is champagne. 

Jack: I try never to discuss business with a clear head. Are you travelling alone? Are you authorised to negotiate with me? 

Rose: What would we be negotiating? 

Jack: I have something for the Time Agency. Something they'd like to buy. Are you in power to make payment? 

Rose: Well, I, I should talk to my... companions. 

Jack: Companions? 

Rose: Yeah, I should really be getting back to them. 

Jack: Men? 

Rose: Do you have the time? 

Jack, clearing his throat, takes the device out of his pocket and flicks a switch. Big Ben chimes right next to them. 

Rose: Okay, that was flash. Th... that was on the flash side. 

Jack moves closer and places his hands on her waist.

Jack: So... when you say "companions", just how disappointed should I be? 

Rose: Okay... we're standing in midair... 

Jack: Mm-hm. 

Rose: On a spaceship... during a German air raid... do you really think now's a good time to be coming on to me...? 

Her voice falters slightly as Jack raises her hands and places his lips upon them. Upon her words, Jack takes his lips away and pats her hand. 

Jack: Perhaps not. 

He walks away. 

Rose: Well, it was just a suggestion. 

Jack turns back to her. 

Jack: Do you like Glenn Miller? 

He points the device over his shoulder, and "Moonlight Serenade" plays. 

He walks back to her, and they begin to slow dance. 

Jack: It's 1941. The height of the London Blitz. The height of the German Bombing Campaign. And something else has fallen on London... a fully equipped Chula Warship. The last one in existence... 

Rose's eyelids flutter closed, her head on his shoulder. 

Jack: ... armed to the teeth. 

He draws back slightly to look at her properly.

Jack: And I know where it is. Because I parked it. 

Rose laughs. 

Jack: If the Agency can name the right price, I can get it for you. But in two hours, a German bomb is gonna fall on it and destroy it forever. 

He looks at her, suddenly more serious.

Jack: That's the deadline. That's the deal. And now, shall we discuss payment? 

Rose: Do you know what I think? 

Jack: What?

Rose: I think you were talking just there... 

Jack: Two hours, the bomb falls. There'll be nothing left but dust and a crater. 

Rose: Promises, promises... 

Jack: Are you listening to any of this?

Rose: You used to be a Time Agent, now you're some kind of freelancer. 

Jack: Well, that's a little harsh. I like to think of myself as a criminal. 

Rose (laughing): I bet you do! 

Jack: So, these companions of yours, do they handle the business?

Rose: Well, I delegate a lot of that, yeah. 

Jack: Well, maybe we should go find them. 

Rose: And how're you gonna do that? 

Jack: Easy. I'll do a scan for alien tech. 

He begins the scan using the device on his wrist. 

Rose: Finally, a professional. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Warden and The Doctor stand on some steps a good distance away from the bomb site. They look at it using binoculars. Nancy stands behind them. 

Nancy: The bomb's under that tarpaulin. They put the fence up over night. See that building? The hospital. 

The Doctor looks over to where she indicates over the top of the binoculars while The Warden continues to stare at the site.. 

The Doctor: What about it? 

Nancy: That's where the doctor is. 

The Warden zooms in on the hospital. 

Nancy: You should talk to him. 

The Doctor: For now, I'm more interested in getting in there

He points back at the bomb site. 

Nancy: Talk to the doctor first. 

The Warden: Why? 

Nancy: 'Cos then maybe you won't wanna get inside. 

Nancy begins to go back up the steps. 

The Warden: Where're you going? 

Nancy: There was a lot of food in that house. I've got mouths to feed. Should be safe enough now. 

The Warden: Can I ask you a question? Who did you lose? 

Nancy: What? 

The Warden finally lowers the binoculars and turns to face her.

The Warden: The way you look after all those kids. It's 'cos you lost somebody, isn't it? You're doing all this to make up for it. 

Nancy: My little brother. Jamie. One night I went out looking for food. Same night that thing fell. I told him not to follow me, told him it was dangerous, but he just... he just didn't like being on his own. 

The Doctor: What happened? 

Nancy: In the middle of an air raid? What do you think happened? 

The Doctor nods, then smiles. 

The Doctor: Amazing. 

Nancy: What is? 

The Doctor: 1941. 

There are planes dropping bombs in the distance. A barrage balloon hovers above them. Small explosions in the air. 

The Doctor: Right now, not very far from here, a German war machine is rolling up the map of Europe. Country after country, falling like dominoes. Nothing can stop it. Nothing. Until one, tiny, damp little island says "no". 'No'. Not here. A mouse in front of a lion. You're amazing, the lot of you. Dunno what you do to Hitler, but you frighten the hell out of me. Off you go then... do what you've gotta do. Save the world.

The time lords go down the rest of the steps. Nancy turns and walks up them. The distorted vision of the child watches Nancy and we see his shadow follow her up the steps.